Luneburg Lenses: Understanding Diffraction, Spill-over and Focusing

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jean Bickle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diffraction Lenses
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Jean Bickle
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi there!

I wonder if anyone could explain to me exactly how the optics of Luneburg lenses work? Are there any major losses due to diffraction, spill-over etc? Is it possible to focus just one image using this lens?

Thanks,

Jean
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jean Bickle said:
Hi there!

I wonder if anyone could explain to me exactly how the optics of Luneburg lenses work? Are there any major losses due to diffraction, spill-over etc? Is it possible to focus just one image using this lens?

Thanks,

Jean

just google it u can find it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luneburg_lens
 
Yes, I knew that. Was just wondering whether anyone could explain it in a few simple words.

Thanks anyway though!

Jean
 
Hi jean ,sorting out your question,some nice pictures
this notes might be useful
 

Attachments

Hi phsixlover,

Thanks for your help! The pdf you sent gives really good information and at just the right detail I wanted!

Thanks!