Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M42 and the Running Man nebula with Takahashi 150mm

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    First post on PF, thought I'd share my first serious attempt at astrophotography. I used itelescope since it's perpetual cloud cover where I'm at sadly, and all of my processing was done in Astroart. I learned a lot with this, but it's definitely an uphill struggle!

M42ColorFinal.jpg
    M42 and the Running Man nebula.

Total exposure time was 40 minutes (10 in R,G,B and Ha each) and the equipment was a Takahashi 150mm refractor with an SBIG STL-11000M CCD.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Nice. Did you use HA as a luminance frame?

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3
    Sort of. I tried to use just the H-alpha image as luminance with the RGB but it made the stars look really weird, especially with large halos around the brighter ones. I looked around and found Rob Gendler's website that discusses ways around this, and it helped a lot. One of his solutions was to lower the opacity of the Ha image relative to the others, then integrate it, and that did the trick for me.

5. Apr 22, 2014 #4
    nice shots of M3 and M42 guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook