1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mag. field of square loop at far away point

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    loop.png

I had to find the magnetic field due to each side at point P, a distance h above x-axis and L/2 from z-axis.

In previous parts, summing up all the sides, I came up with a net magnetic field at point P, of:

[tex]B_{net}=\frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi}\left[\left(\frac{L}{h\sqrt{h^2+\frac{L^2}{4}}}+\frac{L^2}{(h^2+L^2)\sqrt{h^2+\frac{5L^2}{4}}}\right)\hat{y}+\left(\frac{2Lh}{(h^2+\frac{L^2}{4})\sqrt{h^2+\frac{5L^2}{4}}}+\frac{Lh}{(h^2+L^2)\sqrt{h^2+\frac{5L^2}{4}}}\right)\hat{z}\right][/tex]

The final part of the problem asks to find the magnetic field at a far away point P(L/2,y0,z0) where y0 and z0 are much larger than L.

How do I tackle this? I know I am not going to have to redo the entire calculation for a different point. Is it safe to just take the limit,

[tex]

\lim_{h\rightarrow \infty} B_{net}
    [/tex]

The way I look at it, my equation is for the point P(L/2,0,h). For the far away point, my x isn't changing, but y and z are. So by taking this limit, I get my z very far, but how to do it for a far y as well?

Am I thinking this over right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you are over-thinking it. Very far from the xy plane the loop looks like a magnetic dipole and I believe you are expected to treat it as such.

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3
    Ok. Thats a step.

So can I use my current result and alter it to accommodate for such change, or do I have to redo the derivation?

Thanks.

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4
    Ok I got it. Following through with what was mentioned above, I arrived with a new formula, but for a dipole as mentioned. All is clear, thank you. :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook