1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Disturbances Affecting a Transformer Question

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Part A:

A 250kVA, 11kV/50Hz supply single phase transformer has 80-turns on the secondary coil, calculate:
    i. The approximate values of the primary and secondary currents:
    ii. The approximate number of primary turns
    iii. The magnitude of the flux in Wb

I think I have managed to conquer part A, however it is part B which I am struggling with:

A transient disturbance signal affects the current on the primary coil and is in the form of a sinusoidal current signal caused by a magnetic coupling. Discuss the effect of this transient upon the system.

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming the secondary voltage is 240:

The approximate values of the primary and secondary currents:
    250000/11000=22.7A
    250000/240=1041.6A

ii. The approximate number of primary turns

((11000).(80))/240=3667 turns

iii. The magnitude of the flux in Wb
    240 =(4.44).(80).(50).(ϕ_M)

φ = 13.5 mWb

For Part B:

I think that the transient signal will have very little affect on the system because it is being scaled down to a point of 45 times lower than what is on the primary coil. I therefore believe that the disturbance signal will be so weak on the output that it will have a negligible affect on the system.

I was wondering if anyone could help clarify if I am on the right lines or I have missed the point all together? Thanks so much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't forget though that the secondary current is many times bigger than the primary current.

Hint: assume an ideal transformer (primary and secondary inductances = ∞, unity coupling). What does that imply about the ratio between primary and secondary voltages and currents?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted