Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field affecting the nervous system

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1
    I recently learned about Magnetic fields and the force they apply on moving charged particles.I had read in biology that the nervous system works on electrical impulses.My question is,do magnetic fields affect the nervous system?Do they apply a force on the nerves?
    I know this may not be the most appropriate question for a physics forum,but I didn't know where else to ask it.And pardon me if the question is too naive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't find the reference now, but magnetic fields of several Tesla can have an effect on neurons. The mechanical force is negligible (neurons don't work like cables), but the field changes the way current flows.
    Fast changes of a strong field can be worse as those directly induce current flows.

4. Aug 1, 2015 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

What is the strength of the field produced when an MRI scan of the brain is done?

5. Aug 1, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Typically 1-3 Tesla (for the large static field), with some experimental devices having stronger fields.

6. Aug 1, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right. This question is not appropriate for an Introductory Physics HW forum.

It has been moved to the Medical Sciences technical forum, where you may generate some useful responses.

In the future, when posting a thread, if you are not sure which forum to post in, you can contact a Moderator and ask for his/her advice.

7. Aug 1, 2015 #6
    Thanks a lot guys..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook