Magnetic Field affecting the nervous system

In summary, magnetic fields affect the nervous system by changing the way current flows. This force is negligible, but can be harmful if the field is changed rapidly. MRI scans of the brain typically use fields of 1-3 Tesla.
Ellispson
I recently learned about Magnetic fields and the force they apply on moving charged particles.I had read in biology that the nervous system works on electrical impulses.My question is,do magnetic fields affect the nervous system?Do they apply a force on the nerves?
I know this may not be the most appropriate question for a physics forum,but I didn't know where else to ask it.And pardon me if the question is too naive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't find the reference now, but magnetic fields of several Tesla can have an effect on neurons. The mechanical force is negligible (neurons don't work like cables), but the field changes the way current flows.
Fast changes of a strong field can be worse as those directly induce current flows.

Likes Ellispson
What is the strength of the field produced when an MRI scan of the brain is done?

Typically 1-3 Tesla (for the large static field), with some experimental devices having stronger fields.

Ellispson said:

Homework Statement

I recently learned about Magnetic fields and the force they apply on moving charged particles.I had read in biology that the nervous system works on electrical impulses.My question is,do magnetic fields affect the nervous system?Do they apply a force on the nerves?
I know this may not be the most appropriate question for a physics forum,but I didn't know where else to ask it.And pardon me if the question is too naive.
You're right. This question is not appropriate for an Introductory Physics HW forum.

It has been moved to the Medical Sciences technical forum, where you may generate some useful responses.

In the future, when posting a thread, if you are not sure which forum to post in, you can contact a Moderator and ask for his/her advice.

Likes Ellispson
Thanks a lot guys..

1. How does a magnetic field affect the nervous system?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. When a magnetic field is applied to the human body, it can cause changes in the electrical activity of nerve cells, which can then affect the function of the nervous system. This can lead to changes in brain activity, muscle movement, and sensory perception.

2. Can exposure to magnetic fields cause health problems?

There is currently no strong scientific evidence that exposure to magnetic fields can cause health problems in humans. The magnetic fields that humans are typically exposed to in everyday life are not strong enough to cause significant changes in the nervous system. However, further research is needed to fully understand the potential effects of long-term exposure to strong magnetic fields.

3. Are there any benefits to using magnetic therapy for nervous system disorders?

Some studies have suggested that magnetic therapy can potentially have beneficial effects on the nervous system, such as reducing pain and improving motor function in people with neurological disorders. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effectiveness and safety of magnetic therapy for treating nervous system disorders.

4. How do magnetic fields interact with the body's natural magnetic field?

The human body has a natural magnetic field that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles in the body, such as ions in nerve cells. When an external magnetic field is applied to the body, it can interact with this natural magnetic field and cause changes in the electrical activity of nerve cells. This interaction may be responsible for the potential effects of magnetic fields on the nervous system.

5. Can magnetic fields from electronic devices affect the nervous system?

The magnetic fields produced by electronic devices, such as cell phones and laptops, are generally too weak to have any significant effects on the nervous system. However, prolonged exposure to these devices may potentially have subtle effects on the nervous system over time. It is recommended to limit exposure to electronic devices and take frequent breaks to minimize any potential effects on the nervous system.