Magnitude of force acting on an object

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1.84kg mass accelerating at 10.66m/s^2 in a direction 28.8 degrees north of east. The goal is to find the magnitude of the force acting east on the object. The equations F=ma, Fx=ma, and Fy=ma are used to solve the problem, but it is eventually concluded that the force can be found simply by multiplying the mass by the acceleration.
hunter457

Homework Statement

A 1.84kg mass is observed to accelerate at 10.66m/s^2 in a direction 28.8 degrees north of east. There is a force directed north acting on the object and a force directed east acting on the object. What is the magnitude of the force acting east on the object?

Homework Equations

F=ma, Fx=ma, Fy=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

*FA=force directed north, FB=force directed east, FN=normal force

Fx=ma
-mgsinθ+FAcosα+FBsinβ=ma
-(1.84)(9.8)(sin28.8)+FA(cos61.2)+FB(sin61.2)=(1.84)(10.66)
-8.68698+0.48175FA+0.8763FB=19.6144
0.48175FA+0.8763FB=28.30138
FA=(28.30138-0.8763FB)/0.48175

Fy=ma
FN+FAsinα-FBcosβ-mgcosθ=ma
FN+FAsin61.2-FBcos61.2-(1.84)(9.8)(cos28.8)=(1.84)(10.66)
FN+0.8763FA-0.48175FB-15.8=19.6144
FN+0.8763FA-0.48175FB=35.416
FA=(35.416-FN+0.48175FB)/0.8763

If I put the two equations together to cancel out FA, I still have two unknowns. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe my FBD was wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Does this problem explicitly say gravity is even involved? This sounds like a simple vector problem.

You're right. I didn't need to use forces to solve this:

F = m*a
= 1.84*10.66
= 19.6 N

If I draw a line from the origin 28.8deg north of east and derive the components, then Fx=the force eastward:

Fx = 19.6 *cos(28.8) = 17.2 N

Looks good :smile:

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Thank you. I know that I'll be using this forum a lot more :approve:

What is the magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force is the amount of force applied to an object, represented by a numerical value and a unit of measurement. It describes the strength or intensity of a force.

How is the magnitude of force calculated?

The magnitude of force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration. This calculation is represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What factors affect the magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force is affected by the mass of an object and the acceleration it experiences. Other factors include the direction and angle of the force, as well as any external forces acting on the object.

How is the magnitude of force different from the direction of force?

The magnitude of force refers to the strength of a force, while the direction of force describes the path or orientation of the force. Both are important in understanding the overall effect of a force on an object.

Why is it important to consider the magnitude of force when studying motion?

The magnitude of force is crucial in understanding the motion of an object, as it determines the object's acceleration and how it will respond to external forces. Without considering the magnitude of force, it is impossible to accurately predict the motion of an object.