Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Maine has legalized same-sex marriage

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1

turbo

Gold Member

At the ballot-box, no less. Despite Maine having a Republican-controlled legislature and a Tea-Party governor, voters here decided to let the government issue marriage licences to same-sex couples. It's a pretty big deal.

I have 2 cousins who are gay (one has not come out) and a nephew. It would be so nice to see them have rights of inheritance, hospital visitations, pension benefits, etc.

One of my cousins has been in a committed relationship for over 20 years, and he is a master at renovating old vehicles. He has an old Bronco that looks like it was just driven off the lot earlier today. Not a good fit for US stereotypes of gay men.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-mctighe/maine-gay-marriage_b_2053794.html

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2
    Maryland has as well. I don't have any gay relatives that I'm aware of, but I've had close gay friends in the past, and this is certainly a big victory for them.

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same-sex marriage measures were on ballots in 4 states. Voters in WA, ME and MD passed measures legalizing same-sex marriage status in their states. MN had a mostly symbolic measure defining marriage as between "one man and one woman", which was safely defeated, but it doesn't do anything significant to advance gay rights in that state.

And speaking of ballot measures, CO and WA legalized recreational use of marijuana, OR defeated it. MA legalized medical marijuana, while AR defeated it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. Nov 7, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A co-worker came in this morning and announced he's going to get high, marry a dude, and send their kids to charter schools* :biggrin:.

*Washington passed a charter school amendment, too.

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5
    I'm glad this has occurred, now we will possibly see it become legal throughout the country in a few years. Hopefully before 2020!

7. Nov 7, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's amazing how fast public opinion evolved wrt legalizing same-sex marriage. Some ~20 years ago, I thought it would eventually happen but not in my lifetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook