1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a hot wire

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    I am planning in making a boiling tube that heats up to about 200c without a flame. I was thinking a coil of wire and a 9v battery (portable is always better). How would I make the wire hot - 200c/300c with only a 9v battery.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you insulate your system well enough (that is not trivial), reaching that temperature is easy.
    Controlling the temperature can be interesting.

4. Feb 12, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup, but it isn't going to be done with one of those small PP3 9V batteries, they just don't have the umph,
    they can only supply around 300-400 mA and for a relatively short time
    You would need a battery that can supply significant current, say a 12V 7.2 AH Gel or sealed Lead-Acid

Dave

5. Feb 12, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't know how large the volume we want to heat is.
    You can make a thin wire visibly glow red with ~2A, using a thinner wire should easily give 200°C with 200mA.
    9 V at 200 mA means 40 Ohm, so we can use a long thin wire (or probably a small resistor).

6. Feb 12, 2015 #5
    I think wolfram based wires are very suitable for this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook