1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a Shift Register Using NOR Gates

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    Hi -

I am trying to make a shift register using NOR Gates. I have been given multiple HD74LS02P Quad 2-Input Positive NOR Gates, LED lights, resistors, a breadboard and an Arduino UNO.

I have been trying to do this for a long time now, but I don't think I really understand how it works (the flip flop, shift register), and I'm kind of lost as to what to do to start.

Thanks,
    Bob Duko

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What have you done so far? What can you tell us about shift registers? Can you show us the logic diagram for making a single flip-flop (FF) out of NOR gates?

4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    What is the arduino UNO, is this a microcontroller and are you expected/allowed to use it for the shift register?

Anyway, you should look up latching circuits for some ideas. Have you attempted drawing out truth tables or state machine diagrams? Its good to get an overall strategy with how the logic should progress before you try to implement it with parts; similar to having a specification before you start a design.

I don't know much advice to give you without trying to do the work for you, and we can think of things better if you provide specific questions that you're having.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook