Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making equations with six six-sided dice

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    Suppose I am playing a game where I roll some dice, and must use only combinations of elementary operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division) to make an equation using each number rolled exactly once.

For example, if I roll four six-sided dice, and get this:
    2, 3, 3, 4
    A possible solution is:
    3-2=4-3
    Another one is:
    (3+3)-2=4

Now, I'm fairly certain that for up to five six-sided dice, not all combinations can be made into valid equations. Here are some examples:
    2 dice: Everything except doubles
    3 dice: Triples greater than 1s; two 1s and a 3, 4, 5, or 6
    4 dice: Three 1s and a 4, 5, or 6
    5 dice: Four 1s and a 5 or 6

My question is, are there any combinations that cannot be made into valid equations for six six-sided dice? Five ones and a six works here: (1+1)*(1+1+1)=6
    If so, can someone give me an example of such a combination, and more interestingly, the minimum number of six-sided dice needed to guarantee a valid equation for any possible roll, if there indeed exists a minimum?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2
    Consider that for any number of rolls above 6, you will always have a duplicate die which can be counted as 1 (via division of the duplicate by itself).

Definitely a neat thing to think about, wonder if it or something similar has come up here before?

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3
    What a wonderful problem; it will give me something to do over the summer.
    It seems to me that it would be easiest/most informative to consider each operation separately; for example, when considering addition, we're really asking how may roles generate exactly two partitions of the same number, which opens the door to using results from number theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook