Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man-Made Diamonds a reality now.

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1

I came across a company that is using Russian cold war technology to sythesize diamonds in their factory. The machines they bought from the Russians look like 5ft. high, 3 feet diameter metal cylinders. They approximate the temperature and pressure that the Earth uses to create diamonds from raw carbon.

Here is a link to the company's website

I'd be curious to know if anyone here has access to more information on their technology, or perhaps a white paper on their processes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

I read an article on a variation of the cubic press, where the high pressure was generated by having a sphere of one type of metal enclosed in a sphere of a different metal, and relying on differences in thermal expansion to create the high pressures needed.
  4. Jun 20, 2006 #3
    I remember reading something earlier about this. But this site made diamonds from the ashes of your deceased loved ones...

Here is the link (I think that this is the one I am thinking about):http://www.lifegem.com/
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  5. Jun 26, 2006 #4
    interesting reid
  6. Jun 26, 2006 #5
    I remember reading a related article from Popular Science magazine but I forgot which issue was that.
    Anyway, they have an online version:

Man-made diamonds are as good as natural ones. Just that companies like De Beers are better at marketing their diamonds.
  7. Jun 26, 2006 #6
    Just to clarify, that article you linked primarily discusses CVD diamonds, whereas Gemesis, mentioned earlier in the thread, is a type of HPHT diamond production. THe problem with CVD diamond gem sales isn't marketing at the moment; the problem is that there aren't any for sale. At least not more than a few tens of carats here and there.

The diamond industry sells 30 million carats of gem diamond every year. The CVD diamond industry will probably sell less than a few thousand carats over the next 12 months. There's just no comparison. The manufacturing is currently just too slow.

Gemesis is selling more than that (I forget how much), and last I checked, which was about a year ago, they sold them as fast as they could make them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?