Man-Made Diamonds a reality now.

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, Gemesis is a company that is using Russian cold war technology to sythesize diamonds. The machines they bought from the Russians look like 5ft. high, 3 feet diameter metal cylinders. They approximate the temperature and pressure that the Earth uses to create diamonds from raw carbon.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Greetings,

I came across a company that is using Russian cold war technology to sythesize diamonds in their factory. The machines they bought from the Russians look like 5ft. high, 3 feet diameter metal cylinders. They approximate the temperature and pressure that the Earth uses to create diamonds from raw carbon.

Here is a link to the company's website
http://www.gemesis.com/

I'd be curious to know if anyone here has access to more information on their technology, or perhaps a white paper on their processes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I read an article on a variation of the cubic press, where the high pressure was generated by having a sphere of one type of metal enclosed in a sphere of a different metal, and relying on differences in thermal expansion to create the high pressures needed.

I remember reading something earlier about this. But this site made diamonds from the ashes of your deceased loved ones...

Here is the link (I think that this is the one I am thinking about):http://www.lifegem.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting reid

I remember reading a related article from Popular Science magazine but I forgot which issue was that.
Anyway, they have an online version:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/whatsnew/301306492d68b010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Man-made diamonds are as good as natural ones. Just that companies like De Beers are better at marketing their diamonds.

Last edited by a moderator:
feyn77 said:
Man-made diamonds are as good as natural ones. Just that companies like De Beers are better at marketing their diamonds.

Just to clarify, that article you linked primarily discusses CVD diamonds, whereas Gemesis, mentioned earlier in the thread, is a type of HPHT diamond production. THe problem with CVD diamond gem sales isn't marketing at the moment; the problem is that there aren't any for sale. At least not more than a few tens of carats here and there.

The diamond industry sells 30 million carats of gem diamond every year. The CVD diamond industry will probably sell less than a few thousand carats over the next 12 months. There's just no comparison. The manufacturing is currently just too slow.

Gemesis is selling more than that (I forget how much), and last I checked, which was about a year ago, they sold them as fast as they could make them.

1. What are man-made diamonds?

Man-made diamonds, also known as lab-grown or synthetic diamonds, are diamonds that are created in a laboratory rather than being formed naturally in the earth's mantle. They have the same chemical and physical properties as natural diamonds, making them virtually indistinguishable.

2. How are man-made diamonds made?

Man-made diamonds are created using two methods: High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) and Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD). HPHT mimics the natural diamond formation process by subjecting carbon to intense pressure and heat, while CVD involves depositing carbon atoms onto a substrate in a vacuum chamber.

3. Are man-made diamonds real diamonds?

Yes, man-made diamonds are real diamonds. They have the same chemical composition of pure carbon and the same physical properties as natural diamonds. The only difference is the origin of their formation.

4. Why are man-made diamonds becoming more popular?

Man-made diamonds are becoming more popular because they are more affordable than natural diamonds and have a smaller environmental impact. They also offer a more sustainable and ethical option for those who are concerned about the mining practices of natural diamonds.

5. How can you tell the difference between a man-made diamond and a natural diamond?

It is extremely difficult to tell the difference between a man-made diamond and a natural diamond without specialized equipment. However, man-made diamonds may have slight differences in their growth patterns or inclusions that can help identify them. It is always best to purchase diamonds from a reputable source to ensure their authenticity.