Mass loses contact with platform at 6.2 cm amplitude in SHM

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
andyatk14
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A mass sits on a platform undergoing simple harmonic motion in the vertical
direction. The mass loses contact with the platform when the amplitude exceeds
6.2 cm. What is the frequency, f (in Hz), of the platform’s vibration? Take g =
9.8ms−2.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure where to start with this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about SHM, and in particular, the relationships between position, velocity, and acceleration? How about bodies in free-fall? What do you know about them?
 
Thank you for your reply. I have an answer for the frequency of 2Hz which I got by saying the maximum value of the acceleration was equal to g, which is equal to omega^2*A, where A is the amplitude. I believe that may be right.
 
andyatk14 said:
Thank you for your reply. I have an answer for the frequency of 2Hz which I got by saying the maximum value of the acceleration was equal to g, which is equal to omega^2*A, where A is the amplitude. I believe that may be right.

If you can justify why maximum acceleration should equal g then I'd say you're done.