Mass of a paper clip question

• Thread starter zelda1850
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Paper
In summary: The mass of a paper clip is approximately?Homework Equationsit is mutiple choice but i don't know if there an equation for itthe mass of a paper clip is apporoximately?1) 1 x 10 exponenet(6) kg2) 1 x 10 exponenet(3) kg3) 1 x 10 exponenent(-3) kg4) 1 x 10 exponenent(-6) kgThe Attempt at a Solutioni have no idea how to do this problem ...
zelda1850

Homework Statement

the mass of a paper clip is approximately?

Homework Equations

it is mutiple choice but i don't know if there an equation for it

the mass of a paper clip is apporoximately?

1) 1 x 10 exponenet(6) kg
2) 1 x 10 exponenet(3) kg
3) 1 x 10 exponenent(-3) kg
4) 1 x 10 exponenent(-6) kg

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to do this problem ...

Physics news on Phys.org
zelda1850 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

There is no formula. Three of the options are ridiculous.

The question is designed to see if you understand
a] exponents,
b] how to ballpark, and
(possibly most important)
c] how to understand a problem, rather than just being a calculating machine.

Steel weighs about 490#/cu.ft so estimate/calculate the volume of a paper clip and go from there.

Maybe you have played around with masses in a lab? Or you have passed around a 1 kg mass? A 100 gram mass (0.100 kg)? I think your teacher may have two or three things in mind.

1. Do you have some feel for what a kilogram is? Maybe like you have a feel for about how long a foot is or a meter. Or maybe you can estimate how much of a pound a pea weighs.

2. Do you understand scientific notation?

maybe try to think about it in terms of grams
it definitely has a negative exponent
i think this one is more of a common sense question...

zelda1850 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If you must, try converting from kg to pounds or ounces, if you are more familiar with those units.

As a reference, find a package of food, any type of food, which lists the mass on the package. Is a paper clip heavier or lighter than this? That should help eliminate 2 of the answers.

Go to Staples or Office Max. Get a box of 100 paper clips. Weight it on a letter scale. Divide by 100.

Just for a ballpark estimate, is a paper clip lighter than a penny? What is the mass of a penny? If you know how to handle exponents, the answer should be evident quickly.

RTW69 said:
Go to Staples or Office Max. Get a box of 100 paper clips. Weight it on a letter scale. Divide by 100.
The point of this homework problem is not to weigh a paper clip, it is to use some common sense.

The problem can be common sense is not common when one has no idea what a kilogram is. We can be sure the poster is not a drug dealer, in the U.S. anyways. Which is a good thing.

The point is to get an idea what a kilogram is. If one doesn't know that, at least use the conversion to pounds. Going out and weighing to get the mass of a paper clip defeats the purpose.

zelda1850 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Ok, well first approximate, do you know what a kg is equal to? about 4 apples, now consider a small paper clip, it is very small compared to those apples, a tenth? a thousandth? a millionth? well you are in luck because it is multiple choice, so it is most likely 1EE-3

If you don't know scientific notation (which you should, it will come up again) the -3 means the total number of digits. So 1EE-3 = .003th of a kg or 1g, 1g ~ a paper clip

Good estimation is a valuable tool in science and IRL, the important thing is not the detail (3 or 4EE but the exponent, EE3, and EE6 is a big difference, you should be able to pick a reasonable answer)

What is the mass of a paper clip?

The mass of a paper clip can vary depending on the size and material of the paper clip. On average, a standard small paper clip has a mass of about 1 gram (g).

How do you measure the mass of a paper clip?

The mass of a paper clip can be measured using a balance or scale. Place the paper clip on the scale and record the reading to determine its mass.

What is the unit of measurement for the mass of a paper clip?

The unit of measurement for the mass of a paper clip is typically grams (g) or milligrams (mg). In some cases, it may also be measured in ounces (oz) or pounds (lbs).

Why do paper clips have different masses?

Paper clips can have different masses due to variations in size, material, and manufacturing processes. Some paper clips may also have additional coatings or attachments that can affect their mass.

Can you calculate the mass of a paper clip based on its dimensions?

Yes, the mass of a paper clip can be calculated using its dimensions and the density of the material it is made of. However, this may not be an accurate measurement as there can be slight variations in mass due to different factors.