Mass of sphere with density ρ(r) = ρ0(1 − r/R)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ~Sam~
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
~Sam~
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The density of a sphere of radius R as a function of distance from the centre r is ρ(r) = ρ0(1 − r/R)
What is the mass of the sphere in terms of ρ0 and R?

Homework Equations



Volume of a Sphere=(4/3)piR3


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm somewhat confused by the question. To my understanding, I can determine the mass of the sphere by integrating from 0 to radius R. I would consider a spherical shell a distance r from the center and of thickness dr. Thus I integrate from 0 to R and get something like 4pir2(1-r/R)ρ(r)dr, which is the mass of the sphere. But I'm not sure if that's what is needed. Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dm = 4pir2(1-r/R)ρ(r)dr
Complete the integration. So
m = 4*pi*rho* intg(r^2*dr - r^3*dr/R) from zero to R.
 
rl.bhat said:
dm = 4pir2(1-r/R)ρ(r)dr
Complete the integration. So
m = 4*pi*rho* intg(r^2*dr - r^3*dr/R) from zero to R.

Huh, I'm not quite sure how the integration with (1-r/R) works...R would be the radius, and r would be the distance from centre...care to explain?
 
You have to integrate [ intg(r^2*dr - r^3*dr/R)] between 0 to R.
It is equal to [R^3/3 - R^3/4]