Mass radii of some simple nuclei

In summary, the individual is seeking recent experimental data on the mass radii of deuterium, tritium, helium 3, and helium 4 nuclei. They specify that they are not looking for data on charge radii. The latest data can be found in a 2004 article by I. Angeli. However, the individual also needs more precise data than what is currently available. They ask if there is any older experimental data on the matter radius of these nuclei and suggest looking into scattering experiments or online databases.
Coldy
Hi, I need recent experimental data for mass radii of the nuclei of deuterium, tritium, helium 3 and helium 4. I would be grateful if someone could help me with this problem and gave me exact quotes from articles, books, etc. scientific sources.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean charge radii of these light ions?

If so, I believe the latest data is contained in I. Angeli, Atomic Data and Nuclear Data Tables 87 (2004) 185–206.

No, I mean MASS radii. Right now I don't need charge ones.

My understanding is that the only for so called halo nuclei, does the matter radius vary significantly from the charge radius. None of the light ions you listed are halo nuclei, so the matter and charge radius are going to be within 0.1 fm (see Krane's introductory text on nuclear physics).

I realize, of course, that this may not help since your application may require accuracy greater than the 5-6% that 0.1 fm gives for the light ions. Unfortunately, I do not know of any recent experiments on the matter radius of the light ions.

Thank you. The book, which you suggested, helped me a lot, but I really need bigger precision than 10^-16 m (0,1 fm).
If by chance you know about the older experimental data concerning the mass (matter) radius of at least one of the nuclei I would be glad to know it.

I have never really looked into it. I do know people would do scattering experiments of protons on nuclei to get mass radii, but the analysis was always pretty involved and I never looked into to it too closely. You might look in some of the online experimental databases for experiments with your light ions as targets to find some of the data. Only real suggestion I have other than doing the usual google scholar search.

1. What are the factors that determine the mass radii of simple nuclei?

The mass radii of simple nuclei are primarily determined by the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as well as their arrangement and interactions with each other. Other factors such as nuclear spin and the presence of nuclear shells can also influence the mass radii.

2. How are the mass radii of simple nuclei measured?

The mass radii of simple nuclei are typically measured using techniques such as electron scattering, nuclear resonance scattering, and atomic spectroscopy. These methods involve bombarding the nucleus with particles or radiation and analyzing the resulting interactions.

3. What is the significance of studying the mass radii of simple nuclei?

Studying the mass radii of simple nuclei can provide valuable insights into the structure and properties of the nucleus, as well as the fundamental forces that govern its behavior. It can also aid in understanding the formation and evolution of elements in the universe.

4. How do the mass radii of simple nuclei vary across the periodic table?

The mass radii of simple nuclei generally increase as you move down a group on the periodic table, due to the addition of more energy levels and larger nuclear shells. However, there are also variations within each group due to factors such as nuclear spin and the presence of magic numbers.

5. Can the mass radii of simple nuclei change over time?

Yes, the mass radii of simple nuclei can change over time due to various processes such as nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, and nuclear fission or fusion. These changes can also be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and energy inputs.