Mass radii of some simple nuclei

• Thread starter Coldy
  • Start date
Hi, I need recent experimental data for mass radii of the nuclei of deuterium, tritium, helium 3 and helium 4. I would be grateful if someone could help me with this problem and gave me exact quotes from articles, books, etc. scientific sources.

Answers and Replies

Do you mean charge radii of these light ions?

If so, I believe the latest data is contained in I. Angeli, Atomic Data and Nuclear Data Tables 87 (2004) 185–206.

No, I mean MASS radii. Right now I don't need charge ones.

My understanding is that the only for so called halo nuclei, does the matter radius vary significantly from the charge radius. None of the light ions you listed are halo nuclei, so the matter and charge radius are going to be within 0.1 fm (see Krane's introductory text on nuclear physics).

I realize, of course, that this may not help since your application may require accuracy greater than the 5-6% that 0.1 fm gives for the light ions. Unfortunately, I do not know of any recent experiments on the matter radius of the light ions.

Thank you. The book, which you suggested, helped me a lot, but I really need bigger precision than 10^-16 m (0,1 fm).
If by chance you know about the older experimental data concerning the mass (matter) radius of at least one of the nuclei I would be glad to know it.

I have never really looked into it. I do know people would do scattering experiments of protons on nuclei to get mass radii, but the analysis was always pretty involved and I never looked into to it too closely. You might look in some of the online experimental databases for experiments with your light ions as targets to find some of the data. Only real suggestion I have other than doing the usual google scholar search.