Mass shooting in N Illinois University

In summary, the conversation discusses the recent shooting at a gun-free zone on a college campus and the need for better ways to prevent and defend against such tragedies. Suggestions include educating students on self-defense and allowing concealed carry permits on campus. Some also argue for stricter gun laws, while others believe criminals will always find a way to obtain guns. The conversation also touches on the issue of gun control and how it may not be an effective solution.
Moridin said:
By having a weapon, you are more likely to use it against someone in your family accidentally and you will probably aggravate the bad guys to do worse (that is why, for instance, women are discouraged from carrying knifes as protection against rape, since it can be used as a weapon against them).
QUOTE]

These statements are incorrect. They are either due to faulty science or in the latter case, a totally made up statistic.

Educate yourself. It is up to you to stop promoting these myths.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moridin said:
By having a weapon, you are more likely to use it against someone in your family accidentally ...

seycyrus said:
These statements are incorrect. They are either due to faulty science or in the latter case, a totally made up statistic.

Educate yourself. It is up to you to stop promoting these myths.

Is the first statement incorrect too?

Is it then more likely that there will be a shooting accident if there is no weapon at home?

Also, I'd asked for a reference to the statistic you stated about gun crimes committed by cc permit holders.

grant9076 said:
How can you be sure that he has only minimum training? One of the first things that I learned about any type of combat is that you must assume that the enemy knows how to use his/her weapon to the fullest extent of its designed capability. Otherwise, it is like assuming that a doberman doesn't know how to bite.

On that note, many people who qualify as experts with handguns have to place all fired bullets on target at distances up to 25 yards (75 feet) with about 90% of the rounds inside a circle which is the diameter of a volleyball.

I should rephrase that. If I were a moving target, being fired at by someone with a handgun, I would not be too concerned about being hit. Regardless of their level of training. How many "experts" can hit a moving volleyball while having the vollyball recklessly shoot bullets at them? How often does the "expert" hit the spectators behind the volleyball? Handguns are extremely difficult to hit things with. This is why soldiers are given automatic weapons for combat. Your handgun is much more likely to hit anything other than your intended target.

No one on here is suggesting that you don't have the right to protect yourself, just that your methods shouldn't be able to negatively affect others.

For those who want ccw's: Where do you spend your time that you feel the necessity to have deadly force to protect yourselves?

Gokul43201 said:
Is the first statement incorrect too?

It is a deceptive statement.

That is more of an incidence of faulty logic/science. More likely compared to what? To shoot and kill an assailant? You do not have to shoot an assailant, even less kill them, to use a gun effectively for self defensive.

Gokul43201 said:
Is it then more likely that there will be a shooting accident if there is no weapon at home?

Do you use the same logic to dictate the usage of knives, forks, spoons, hammers? How about cleaning agents? How about swimming pools? Look up the leading causes of accidental household deaths. Guns aren't in the top 5.

Gokul43201 said:
Also, I'd asked for a reference to the statistic you stated about gun crimes committed by cc permit holders.

Oh, I'm sorry. I did not realize it was me that you were referring to. Were you the poster that said something like "Some people have talked about studies..." ?

I'm having a hard time coming up with the data on that statistic either way. I stumbled across is a few years back, when Missouri was considering a CC law, but now can't find it. I'll keep looking tho.

kev1829 said:
For those who want ccw's: Where do you spend your time that you feel the necessity to have deadly force to protect yourselves?

Anywhere.

Here's a question for you. Where do you live that you trust criminals more than honest citizens?

seycyrus said:
Anywhere.

Here's a question for you. Where do you live that you trust criminals more than honest citizens?

I don't trust criminals more than honest people. I just don't assume that every stranger I come into contact with is a criminal who has it in their mind to victimize me. If that were the situation, I would change my situation. I enjoy going out and not considering that I will be a victim. If that were the case, I would consider myself to be living in fear...a victim every single day.

Oh, I live in Dorr, Michigan.

kev1829 said:

How about the university one might be attending?

I carry everywhere. Some days I don't carry at all. Depends a great deal on what I am wearing, and where I am going. Chances are very good that a violent crime will never befall me. But, if it ever happens I want to be as prepared as I can.

kev1829 said:
I don't trust criminals more than honest people. I just don't assume that every stranger I come into contact with is a criminal who has it in their mind to victimize me.

But it is ok to assume that honest citizens with a CW are going to shoot the place up?