Mass subject to a time varying force, find acceleration/speed.

In summary, a particle with a mass of 2.2kg is subject to a time-varying force of F(t) = Foe-bt. Given that Fo = 75N, b = .11*(1/s), and the particle is at rest at t=0s, we need to find the acceleration and speed of the particle at t=1s. To find the acceleration, we take the first derivative of position which is velocity, and then substitute the given values for F(t), m, b, and t=1s. This gives us an acceleration of approximately 30.5 m/s^2. To find the speed, we need to integrate the force function and substitute the given values, which
ichivictus

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m=2.2kg is subject to a time varying force of the form

F(t) = Foe-bt

Given that Fo = 75N, b = .11*(1/s), particle is at rest at t=0s

find:

a) Acceleration of the particle at t=1s
b) Speed of the particle at t=1s

Remember that d/dt eat = aeat

Homework Equations

F=ma

Kinematics:
y = Vot + (1/2)at2
Vf = Vo + at
Vf2 = Vo2 + 2ay
y = t * [ (Vo + Vf) / 2 ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm extremely lost on this.

I know the first derivative of position is velocity (speed) and the 2nd derivative is acceleration.

But this just seems to have so much going all at once I'm not entirely sure what to do.

Does it have anything to do with dv/dt = a = F/m ? My first attempt I tried taking the first and second derivative and solving for t=1s from the equation. Then forgot to do anything about the 2.2kg so I know I got it wrong.

My second attempt looks like this:
a) find acceleration at t=1s
a=dv/dt=F/m
so F(t)/m = a = (Foe-bt) / m
Substitute b for .11 1/s and t = 1s and Fo = 75N
(75N * e-.11*(1/s)(1s))/2.2kg
The seconds in the superscript cancel out leaving...
(75N * e-.11)/2.2kg
N is kg * m / s^2 so the masses cancel out after the division leaving acceleration.
75/2.2 ~=~ 34.1
a = 34.1 * e-.11 m/s2 (which is around 30.5 m/s^2)

b) find speed at t=1s
The integral of F(t) evalutated at t=1s should be the speed.
1/m ∫Foe-bt dt
=
(1/m)(-1/b * Fo e -bt ) +C
Substituting and reducing fractions once again leaves me with...
1/2.2kg * -9.09s * 75 kg*m/s^2 * e-.11 + C
Mass cancels out, one unit of time cancels out in kg m /s^2. All this leaves us with m/s which we want.

However this leaves me with a negative number. -277.61 m/s + C. So unless C was to make it positive, this is incorrect.

Am I on the right track at all?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your working but...

The integral of acceleration is velocity not speed. I see nothing wrong with the velocity being -ve. In which case the speed is just the magnitude of the velocity.

You know the velocity at t=0. Does that help you calculate C?

1. What is meant by "mass subject to a time varying force"?

When we say "mass subject to a time varying force", it means that the mass is experiencing a force that changes over time. This could be due to various factors such as a moving object, a changing magnetic field, or a varying gravitational pull.

2. How do you calculate acceleration in this scenario?

To calculate acceleration, we use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the time varying force, and m is the mass. This formula applies to any situation where the force acting on an object changes over time.

3. Is the acceleration constant in this situation?

No, the acceleration is not constant in this scenario. Since the force acting on the mass is changing over time, the acceleration will also change accordingly. This means that the speed of the object will also vary over time.

4. How is speed related to acceleration in this case?

Speed and acceleration are directly related in this situation. As the acceleration increases, the speed of the object will also increase. Similarly, if the acceleration decreases, the speed of the object will decrease as well.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life scenario where this concept is applicable?

One example of this concept is a rollercoaster ride. As the rollercoaster moves along the track, it experiences a varying force due to the changing elevation and curves. This results in the acceleration and speed of the rollercoaster changing throughout the ride.