Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master Troll or Serious? (autistic even?)

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    I can't tell whether this guy is serious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYEzhRbVDC0

or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=794i35FBPog

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2
    I watched the first one. To me it looks like the guy is a serious toy geek. It could well be he has Asperger's and toys are his thing.

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking. I think he is pretty entertaining. I have asked a couple of my friends what they think. One thinks that this kid seems totally normal, and another thinks he may have something like apsergers (which I am not saying is a bad thing). So thanks for your response, I am just curious to see what people's opinion is.

Either way, he is a total geek, and geeks are cool.

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4
    It's fun listening to him talk.

I was actually going through a dilemma about which duster to buy (I ended up buying both);

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Jul 18, 2011 #5
    I hadn't seen that one, lol, I think he's really entertaining for some reason. I'm glad you see where I am coming from.

His shirt in that duster one is classic.

7. Jul 18, 2011 #6
    Indeed he is. But, I don't see any justification or need to draw conclusions about his mental health. Or over-analyzing his intentions for the matter.

8. Jul 18, 2011 #7
    His intentions make a world of difference as to why he'd be entertaining.

9. Jul 18, 2011 #8
    I don't get it. Take it or leave it.

10. Jul 19, 2011 #9
    Everybody's an art critic. One famous Italian artists sells his own feces in mason jars for thousands at a pop, Andy Warhol paints soup cans, and this guy makes inane youtube videos about trivial products.

11. Jul 19, 2011 #10

chiro

Science Advisor

He sort of reminds me of Tom Hanks' character in the movie Big.

12. Jul 19, 2011 #11
    Exactly! I am not trying to make fun of him, but his intentions are exactly why it would or wouldn't be funny.

13. Jul 19, 2011 #12
    Haha I love both of these comments and actually agree with both. Haha and if this is his form of art, it is indeed entertaining then. I love this kid.

14. Jul 19, 2011 #13
    He doesn't seem autistic at all, why would anyone draw that conclusion? Having autism/asperger is not about having strange interests. Since asperger/autism have such low prevalence if you see someone having strange interests like this it still is very unlikely that he got asperger.

If we look at what is important then he have normal speech, smooth hand movement, do not get caught up in details and he don't make a lot of awkward jokes. Seems to me like just a normal guy who thought that it would be funny to perform reviews for things people don't normally review, but it is hard to diagnose with just a few clips of him talking about toys.

15. Jul 19, 2011 #14
    Yeah that's a good point too. Do you think they are funny at all though? Because regardless of mental state, I do.

16. Jul 19, 2011 #15
    What do you think about this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOcX0oS4eQI

He's uploaded a gazillion videos about these paper shapes he makes. Asperger's? Or just a geek?

17. Jul 20, 2011 #16
    Yeah it's impossible to diagnose with the videos and considering the fact that none of us are qualified to do so, but I thought this was interesting.

Hmm.. That is really interesting as well, I could see something like Aspergers being involved with that person as well, although my wife isn't convinced.

Key points from PubMed on the subject:

I do find it extremely interesting to notice some of these possible signs as I watch through a bunch of markymort's videos.

18. Jul 20, 2011 #17
    That one is much harder, I can't tell much by just hearing a couple of snippets of him talking and watching his hands. I forgot to mention eye movements and such, do he have a video where he talks into the camera?

ed:From these video I'd suspect it though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iULUxLnaB3k&feature=related
    Notice in the first how he just ignores the camera most of the time and in the second his eyes looks really inattentive and just focusing on the paper and almost never on the camera even when he turns to the camera. That would be equivalent to a professor who just talks into the blackboard and the few times he is turned to his audience he just looks down into his notes. It might be easier to forget with a camera but for a normal person that is usually natural and not something you need to remember.

19. Jul 20, 2011 #18
    You're saying you'd suspect he might have Asperger's?

20. Jul 20, 2011 #19
    Yeah, I get that vibe. You can imagine the person demonstrating gym equipment or something like that if you have a hard time removing the distraction of them having strange interests. But it is still just a few videos, it isn't like it is easy to see who has it even when you meet them face to face. Is there a special reason why you are asking, do you know that guy?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  21. Jul 20, 2011 #20
    Here are the criteria for a diagnosis of autism.

http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-autism.html" [Broken]

The videos do not justify concluding that he exhibits any of the symptoms, except possibly item 1 in section (1)(C). Even then, there is not enough to conclude that he exhibits that symptom pathologically.

I'm not saying that he isn't autistic, I'm saying that the video provides insufficient evidence to make the diagnosis.

Edit: I discussed these videos with my wife. She says that if a keen interest in uninteresting things was sufficient for a diagnosis of autism, then all physicists would be autistic.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook