Materialism Versus Idealism

• Thread starter heusdens
  • Start date
Originally posted by Iacchus32
Really? If it wasn't for the fact that I was so fixated on this damn computer I wouldn't even know you exist? And that's the honest to God truth!
You don't have much evident that I exist, but this does not contradict the fact that you have daily knowledge of the fact that you share the same reality with others, and can broaden that knowledge to discussions with virtual persons, but which actually (like you yourself) exist.

Originally posted by Tom
What are you talking about?
I'm saying it's really easy to acknowledge what something is from the outside, almost everybody can agree upon that. But, to understand what's going on on the inside, and hence the essence or "experience" of the matter, it goes beyond just getting everybody to agree.

And yet at the same time it's far more personal and meaningful to "understand" things for oneself. Perhaps this is why in the "spiritual sense" understanding corresponds to "one's food." You know, like a "discerning palate?"

Originally posted by heusdens
You don't have much evident that I exist, but this does not contradict the fact that you have daily knowledge of the fact that you share the same reality with others, and can broaden that knowledge to discussions with virtual persons, but which actually (like you yourself) exist.
Actually I spend a lot of time by myself and I don't agree with many people. However, I will agree that your statement here is not entirely unreasonable, that it indeed applies to most people. But, once I turn the computer off ...

Actually I spend a lot of time by myself and I don't agree with many people. However, I will agree that your statement here is not entirely unreasonable, that it indeed applies to most people. But, once I turn the computer off ...
That's a good thing, turning the computer off sometime.

But still he was able to ascertain these things through his work with people's dreams, and hence "our spirit" if you will. And yet this sort of thing, working with dreams and myths, etc., has been going on for ages.
Originally posted by heusdens
Yes, so?
You may call it what you want, or what suits you best, but still these phenomena are closely linked to the way the brain works.
Or, perhaps the brain is just a receptacle, or doorway, which receives information from both sides. Here, check out the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429" (regarding my avatar) and see if it doesn't convey something similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1204" ...

Originally posted by Iacchus 32
Originally posted by Kerrie
I personally think that many people get these two ideas mixed up. Can one be religious and spiritual? I don't believe so, and that is because they both contradict one another. Spirituality is the idea that one applies their inner most morals to only their life, where as religion is a mini-society and has a tendency to critisize others outside their belief circle. Individual Spirituality, in my opinion, is the only true way that will do away with wars based from religious beliefs.
Both are obviously related, except the one is more the "external aspect" (religion) of that which is "internal" (spiritual). It follows along the same lines of knowledge versus wisdom, as well as essence (interior) versus form (exterior). It's the form that it takes, subject to "its interpretation," which gives rise to all the problems.
Thought you might appreciate the distinction to be made between religion and spirituality, which is why religion so often leaves people with a bad taste in their mouth.

Or, perhaps the brain is just a receptacle, or doorway, which receives information from both sides. Here, check out the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429" (regarding my avatar) and see if it doesn't convey something similar?
The brain can in my opinion only be receptable to either the ordinary perceptorary senses, or to it's "inner workings".
There must supposebly be a lot of hidden layers of our consciousness, that is in the ordinary functioning of our consciousness, hidden, but can be connected to during a state of "trance" or whatever.
The information comes from inside, not outside.