Math as a substitute for theoretical physics

In summary, the conversation discussed how someone interested in studying theoretical physics but not interested in topics like electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and experimental physics could pursue their interests by studying math and taking classes in theoretical physics. It was mentioned that this approach may be appealing for individuals like the speaker, who loves math but has not studied higher level physics or math. However, it was also noted that while having a strong mathematical foundation can aid in understanding specific fields of physics, it is important to learn the specific language and dialect of physics in order to fully grasp concepts and participate in discussions. Depending on the individual's goals and interests, different courses in physics may be necessary in addition to math studies.
tylerfarzam
I was watching a video about physics that said people who want to study theoretical physics but do not want to study things like electromagnetism, thermodynamics, experimental physics, etc, should study math, then take some classes in theoretical physics. This way, you could study your favorite parts of physics (and really understand the math behind it) while simultaneously being able to skip over the parts of physics that you do not like. As someone who fits this profile perfectly, and who loves math, this sounds appealing. But as someone who has never studied higher level physics or math, I am not sure if or how this would work. Will this work as well as it sounds if at all, and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
tylerfarzam said:
take some classes in theoretical physics
What do these "theoretical physics" classes include, and how do they allow you to skip undergraduate courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics?

jtbell said:
What do these "theoretical physics" classes include, and how do they allow you to skip undergraduate courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics?
First of all, excuse me if I sound insane but I am just in high school so I do not fully understand how these programs work. Second of all, I was thinking I could Study math and take a few courses on general relativity and I would be able to understand it because I know the math behind it ( that is just a hypothetical )

tylerfarzam said:
Will this work as well as it sounds if at all, and why?
Sure, it will. The question is what you really intend to achieve. Equipped with all mathematics which is necessary, you can certainly study particular fields of physics and understand them. However, that does not mean you will get any relevant degree in physics, you just get knowledge and only in that particular field of physics.

But there is one thing you should know: Yes, the language of physics is mathematics. Nevertheless, physicists and mathematicians speak different dialects of this language, and a large part of a regular study of physics is to learn this dialect. This usually needs time and a lot of practice. So if you only study a particular field, and know the mathematical mathematics, you will open a book and find a strange dialect. This has to sound funny to you, but to study a certain science has more to do with learning a language than most assume. E.g. lawyers use our common language in quite a different way than ordinary people; look up some contract and its salvatory clause:
If a provision of this Agreement is or becomes illegal, invalid or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, that shall not affect the validity or enforceability in other jurisdictions of that or any other provision of this Agreement.
That's not how ordinary people speak, yet it is ordinary English. It is similar with physics and mathematics and the usual way to study physics gets you used to it.

If you only want to understand, e.g. general relativity, then it won't be necessary to learn thermodynamics or electrodynamics; a good portion of differential geometry might do. However, if you want to take part in discussions why general relativity and Newton's gravity are different, electrodynamics might be useful as it is a frequently used comparison. If you want to understand the physics of black holes, then thermodynamics is necessary.

So as it is always the case with questions like yours: It depends on where you want to end up with your path.

fresh_42 said:
Sure, it will. The question is what you really intend to achieve. Equipped with all mathematics which is necessary, you can certainly study particular fields of physics and understand them. However, that does not mean you will get any relevant degree in physics, you just get knowledge and only in that particular field of physics.

But there is one thing you should know: Yes, the language of physics is mathematics. Nevertheless, physicists and mathematicians speak different dialects of this language, and a large part of a regular study of physics is to learn this dialect. This usually needs time and a lot of practice. So if you only study a particular field, and know the mathematical mathematics, you will open a book and find a strange dialect. This has to sound funny to you, but to study a certain science has more to do with learning a language than most assume. E.g. lawyers use our common language in quite a different way than ordinary people; look up some contract and its salvatory clause:

That's not how ordinary people speak, yet it is ordinary English. It is similar with physics and mathematics and the usual way to study physics gets you used to it.

If you only want to understand, e.g. general relativity, then it won't be necessary to learn thermodynamics or electrodynamics; a good portion of differential geometry might do. However, if you want to take part in discussions why general relativity and Newton's gravity are different, electrodynamics might be useful as it is a frequently used comparison. If you want to understand the physics of black holes, then thermodynamics is necessary.

So as it is always the case with questions like yours: It depends on where you want to end up with your path.
Okay. So if I am pursuing physics as an interest and not as a career, would it be best to study applied math in my undergrad then be educating myself in physics through books and videos? In that situation would I be able to understand such theoretical, math intensive, concepts like general relativity at a similar level to an actual physicist? Or is an actual degree in physics needed to even understand that?

tylerfarzam said:
Okay. So if I am pursuing physics as an interest and ... study applied math ... would I be able to understand such theoretical, math intensive, concepts like general relativity at a similar level to an actual physicist?
I'm not certain about the applied adjective here as I think there is a decent portion of pure mathematics involved, too, but in principle yes. You will set yourself in a position to be able to read textbooks about physics and possibly fill gaps, as e.g. in electromagnetics or thermodynamics whenever they occur.

Most important will be curiosity in my opinion. If you're curious and willing to learn, there will be no limits what you can learn, except time perhaps. Whether it will make you an expert in a field is another question.

http://www.richard-feynman.net/videos.htm

Watch some of the Feynman videos.

Theoretical physics is about describing reality.

Many descriptions may be right in their math, but wrong in their physics, because they fail to describe reality.

The arbiter of correctness in theoretical physics is agreement with experiment.

Mathematics is different.

tylerfarzam said:
I was watching a video about physics that said people who want to study theoretical physics but do not want to study things like electromagnetism, thermodynamics, experimental physics, etc, should study math, then take some classes in theoretical physics. This way, you could study your favorite parts of physics (and really understand the math behind it) while simultaneously being able to skip over the parts of physics that you do not like. As someone who fits this profile perfectly, and who loves math, this sounds appealing. But as someone who has never studied higher level physics or math, I am not sure if or how this would work. Will this work as well as it sounds if at all, and why?

First of all, WHAT VIDEO?

The validity of your source of information here is unknown. It is not even certain if you have understood it as it was intended.

Secondly, what do you think is “theoretical physics”?

Thirdly, if you like math but not physics, why not just major in math? Why is this question even necessary?

Zz.

I know a mathematics professor who did work in general relativity, but it involved cleaning up and formalizing the mathematics instead of doing any actual theory. That could be a potentially viable option for you if you pursue a career in math, I just don't know how common that kind of work is.

fresh_42 said:
I'm not certain about the applied adjective here as I think there is a decent portion of pure mathematics involved, too, but in principle yes. You will set yourself in a position to be able to read textbooks about physics and possibly fill gaps, as e.g. in electromagnetics or thermodynamics whenever they occur.

Most important will be curiosity in my opinion. If you're curious and willing to learn, there will be no limits what you can learn, except time perhaps. Whether it will make you an expert in a field is another question.
I have been thinking about your replies to this thread recently and I had one more question, an answer for which I could not find online. If (hypothetically) I earned a higher level degree in math, and I specified my degree in the right parts of math, would I be able to get a job as a part of a physics research team? I was reading something on quora about how people with a degree in pure math can contribute to projects in things like GR and string theory (purely theoretical concepts). But my question is, is it common (or at least not too improbable) for research teams (mainly at universities) to accept people with a degree in math as a part of their theoretical physics research team?

tylerfarzam said:
I have been thinking about your replies to this thread recently and I had one more question, an answer for which I could not find online. If (hypothetically) I earned a higher level degree in math, and I specified my degree in the right parts of math, would I be able to get a job as a part of a physics research team? I was reading something on quora about how people with a degree in pure math can contribute to projects in things like GR and string theory (purely theoretical concepts). But my question is, is it common (or at least not too improbable) for research teams (mainly at universities) to accept people with a degree in math as a part of their theoretical physics research team?
I know of a few mathematicians who followed this route to - theoretical - physics, so it is possible. Whether their contributions to physics are of relevance or not is another question. Its answer depends heavily on individual cases. In earlier times many results in mathematics originated from physical problems, and Bernoulli, Euler, Gauß and others left their traces in both fields.

I know of a person who graduated with both a mathematics and physics degree for undergrad. Then went to grad school for pure mathematics, while taking some physics classes for fun. Now she works on "string theory."

MidgetDwarf said:
I know of a person who graduated with both a mathematics and physics degree for undergrad. Then went to grad school for pure mathematics, while taking some physics classes for fun. Now she works on "string theory."
So let me give you a hypothetical situation. Say I major in math with a minor in CS, then I get a degree in pure mathematics, while “taking a few physics classes for fun.” Will that have been enough for a position like the one you just talked about or do you think an undergrad degree in physics would be required.

Im in my senior year in my undergrad degree.

This person did their undergrad at Caltech. I am at a low tier state school. But we have a good few instructors who are very good lectures, and push you to you're limits, only to make you a better student overall. It is good to be ambitious, but also important not to be foolish.

Math and Physics are both hard and time consuming majors. You are still a high school student, so maybe wait till at least you're first year to decide. First year courses for both of the majors tend to be the same. You still need to pass the calculus sequence, linear algebra (sometimes optional for physics majors, but still worth taking), and the intro physics sequence. Then decide if you want to do math, physics, or both.

Also, there can be scheduling conflicts between the two departments. This is something to consider.

Moreover , please be aware that mathematics as math majors know it. Is not the same as high school mathematics. If you are taking calculus, then head to a library and open up Courant Calculus, Spivak Calculus, or Apostol. It won't look the same as you're high school calculus book.

If you are not in calculus, get a copy of Moise/Downs: Geometry. Proof based high school geometry, that is not typically of pure mathematics but it will give you a feel.

tylerfarzam said:
I was watching a video about physics that said people who want to study theoretical physics but do not want to study things like electromagnetism, thermodynamics, experimental physics, etc, should study math, then take some classes in theoretical physics.

Theoretical physics includes electromagnetism and thermodynamics, so your question is senseless.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist

1. What is the relationship between math and theoretical physics?

Math is an essential tool for understanding and describing the fundamental principles and laws of theoretical physics. It provides a precise and rigorous language for expressing theories and making predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

2. How is math used in theoretical physics?

Math is used in theoretical physics to develop and test mathematical models and theories that can explain and predict the behavior of physical phenomena. This includes using advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to describe and analyze complex systems.

3. Can math be used as a substitute for theoretical physics?

No, math cannot be used as a substitute for theoretical physics. While math is a crucial tool in understanding and developing theories in physics, it is not a replacement for the physical observations and experiments that are necessary to validate these theories and make progress in the field.

4. Why is math considered the language of theoretical physics?

Math is considered the language of theoretical physics because it provides a universal and precise way to describe and communicate complex concepts and theories in physics. It allows scientists from different backgrounds and cultures to understand and build upon each other's work, leading to advancements in the field.

5. What are the limitations of using math in theoretical physics?

While math is a powerful tool in theoretical physics, it does have limitations. Some physical phenomena may be too complex to be fully described and understood using mathematical models. Additionally, the accuracy of mathematical predictions may be affected by uncertainties in the initial conditions and assumptions made in the model.