Math PhD shorter than physics PhD?

In summary, there is a general belief that a math PhD program typically takes about 4 years, while a physics PhD program can take anywhere from 5 to 7 years to complete. However, this may vary depending on the specific university and program. According to the National Research Council, the median time to degree for math was 8 years in 1995, but this number may have decreased since then. In comparison, the median time to degree for physics is currently reported to be a little over 6 years. In New Zealand, a PhD in physics typically takes 8 years. Some universities may have stricter time limits for completing a PhD, such as Princeton only allowing 2-3 years and Utah putting a 3-year limit
precondition
Conjecture: Math PhD is generally(with appropriate definition of generally) shorter in duration than physics PhD. (PhD programmes in US is under consideration and universities in question are say top 10)

Anyone with proof?
I have an impression that math PhD is normally ~4 years
whereas physics PhD is normally ~5 to 7 years

dunno if it's correct though

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In 1995, the median time to degree for math was 8 years, according to the NRC (and other sources)

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9784&page=111

I believe it's lower now.

Last I checked, the median time to degree in physics was a little over 6 years (this is more recent data, I think - look up the AIP site).

In NZ a PhD in Physics takes ~8 years, hope that helps

we don't keep anyone 8 years who hasn't finished at my PhD math program. I think 5 or 6 is considered slow in math. In the olkd days I heard princeton only allowed 2 years, maybe three. Utah put me on notice after 2 years that I only had one more year to finish my math PhD (but i entered with a masters).

Im talking from first year undergrad to ending PhD :redface:

mathwonk said:
we don't keep anyone 8 years who hasn't finished at my PhD math program. I think 5 or 6 is considered slow in math. In the olkd days I heard princeton only allowed 2 years, maybe three. Utah put me on notice after 2 years that I only had one more year to finish my math PhD (but i entered with a masters).

for me maybe, let's see,...ummmm, 17 years?

first year to Phd? all at the same school?!?? how do you judge that?

1. Why is a Math PhD shorter than a Physics PhD?

The length of a PhD program varies depending on the field of study and the individual's pace of progress. In general, a Math PhD is shorter than a Physics PhD because math research tends to have a more focused and theoretical approach, while physics research involves more experimentation and data collection.

2. How much shorter is a Math PhD compared to a Physics PhD?

The length of a PhD program can vary greatly, but on average, a Math PhD may be 1-2 years shorter than a Physics PhD. However, this may also depend on the specific program and research topic.

3. Is a shorter PhD program in math less rigorous than a longer one in physics?

The length of a PhD program does not necessarily reflect its rigor. Both math and physics PhD programs require advanced coursework, independent research, and a dissertation. The difference in length is due to the varying approaches to research and the specific requirements of each field.

4. Can someone with a Math PhD still pursue a career in physics?

Yes, someone with a Math PhD can still pursue a career in physics. Many mathematical concepts and techniques are integral to the study of physics. In fact, there are fields of research, such as mathematical physics, that combine both disciplines.

5. Are there any advantages to a shorter PhD program in math?

One potential advantage of a shorter PhD program in math is that it allows individuals to enter the workforce or begin their research careers sooner. Additionally, a shorter program may also result in lower tuition costs and less debt for students.