1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math puzzle: combinations of digits

1. Jan 17, 2017 #1
    • OP warned about not using the homework template
    My 10 year old daughter was given this maths puzzle and I'm sure to you guys it would be pretty easy.

You have 5 numbers 1,2,3,4,5

Ho many possible combinations are there possibe for 1 digit combos,2 digit combos, 3 digit combos, 4 digit combos, and 5 digit combos. The numbers cannot repeat at any time and you cannot have the reverse of the numbers also (e.g 345 and 543 as same 3 numbers used in this 3 digit combo.)

For single digit combos there is onviously only 5 combos 1-5 (5)
    For 5 digit combos there is only one combination 1-5 (1) as any other combo still uses the same 5 numbers
    I thought using 5*4*3*2*1 / 4+3+2+1 = (12) would be the correct answer for the 4 digit combos
    and that 5*4*3*2*1 / 3 +2 +1 = (20) would be correct for 3 digit combos and that 5*4*3*2*1 / 2+1 = (40) for 2 digit combos.

So total combos 5 + 40 + 20 + 12 + 1 = 78 possible combos would be correct but it's not.

What is the correct answer and can you explain how it is done.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

She should start by listing all possibilities for 2 digits (including reversals), then excluding reversals, and try to deduce a pattern from that.

4. Jan 17, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For 4-digit combos, every combo is defined by the number missing. So, there are not 12 of those.

5. Jan 17, 2017 #4
  6. Jan 17, 2017 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You really think your daughter should only care about the numerical answer?

7. Jan 18, 2017 #6
    The link that I included on my previous post showed the formula and how it works and the proof. Do you really think a maths teacher would allow a child just come up with a numerical answer anyway? Thanks for taking the time to reply.Take care.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted