Math requirement of MSEE and PHDEE

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the math requirements for an MSEE and PHDEE vary depending on the department and specialization. Most schools require 4 classes of Applied Math, including PDEs, probability, and statistics. However, for a PhD, there may be no specific course requirements and the advisor and committee have discretion. A minor outside of EE may also require theoretical math courses. For a BS EE, probability and linear algebra are typically required, and it is recommended that students take introductory linear algebra as an elective.
yungman
I just want to know what is the math requirement for MSEE and PHDEE. I know Santa Clara requires 4 classes of Applied Math...Which is what?

I know PDE is a must have, what else? Probability and statistics? Complex Analysis? I know most school only requires Cal I, II and III, Then ODE for BSEE only.

Physics news on Phys.org
For grad school this completely depends upon the department and the specialization. Go to any department website and you can find the requirements. Where I was there were no course requirements of any kind for PhD. It was completely at the discretion of the advisor and committee of each student. We did have to have a minor outside of EE, though, and those that chose math were required to take a bunch of theoretical math. I know many EEs that never learned PDEs because it is seldom necessary for those that specialize in the "applied math" portions of EE (comms, signal processing); those in the "applied physics" specialties (electromagnetics, solid state, quantum electronics, plasma physics) typically do need PDEs, of course.

For BS EE you can again look at web sites, but I have never run across a BS EE that did not have to take probability, and the vast majority are required to take linear algebra. In my opinion, any EE program that does not require intro linear algebra is failing their students, and students in those programs should take it as an elective.

jason

1. What is the purpose of the math requirement for MSEE and PHDEE programs?

The math requirement for MSEE and PHDEE programs is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding and analyzing complex electrical engineering problems.

2. What specific math courses are typically required for MSEE and PHDEE programs?

The specific math courses required for MSEE and PHDEE programs may vary depending on the institution, but they often include courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability and statistics.

3. Can I fulfill the math requirement with AP or transfer credits?

In some cases, AP or transfer credits may be accepted to fulfill the math requirement for MSEE and PHDEE programs. However, it is important to check with the specific institution to ensure that the credits meet the necessary requirements.

4. How important is the math requirement for MSEE and PHDEE programs?

The math requirement is crucial for MSEE and PHDEE programs as it provides students with the necessary skills to solve complex engineering problems and conduct research in the field. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced courses in electrical engineering.

5. Are there any resources available to help students with the math requirement for MSEE and PHDEE programs?

Many institutions offer resources such as tutoring services, study groups, and online resources to help students with the math requirement for MSEE and PHDEE programs. It is important for students to take advantage of these resources to ensure their success in the program.