Mathematica help - simplification

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter acpn2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
Mathematica when simplifying an expression. They give an example expression and ask how to get a simplified expression with the variables and parameters clearly defined. They mention using the function Collect to solve this problem. In summary, Ana is looking for a way to define variables and parameters in Mathematica when simplifying expressions, and she has found a solution using the function Collect.
acpn2
Hello,

I'm trying to find out how I can let Mathematica know what is a variable and what is a parameter when asking it to simplify an expression.

For example: if I have the following expression

\[Beta] \[CapitalOmega] ((1 - \[Gamma] y) \[Xi] \[Sigma] + (x - \[Xi]) \[CapitalOmega]) + a ((-1 + \[Gamma])^2 (y (-1 + \[Beta]) + x \[Delta]))

how to define x and y as my variables so that when I run FullSimplify I get an expression like

constant+coeff*x+coeff*y

?

Otherwise, Mathematica does a simplification that gives me:

a (-1 + \[Gamma])^2 (y (-1 + \[Beta]) +
x \[Delta]) + \[Beta] \[CapitalOmega] (x \[CapitalOmega] - \[Xi] ((-1 + y \[Gamma]) \[Sigma] + \[CapitalOmega]))

Many thanks,
Ana

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've sorted it out using Collect (had never used this function before).

Ana

1. What is simplification in Mathematica?

Simplification in Mathematica refers to the process of reducing a mathematical expression to its simplest form. This can involve combining terms, factoring, and applying algebraic identities to simplify the expression.

2. How do I simplify an expression in Mathematica?

To simplify an expression in Mathematica, you can use the Simplify function or the FullSimplify function. Simply input the expression you want to simplify as the argument for the function and Mathematica will simplify it using its built-in algorithms and rules.

3. Can I specify which variables to simplify in Mathematica?

Yes, you can specify which variables to simplify in Mathematica by using the Assumptions option in the Simplify or FullSimplify function. This allows you to provide assumptions or constraints on certain variables, which can help Mathematica simplify the expression more accurately.

4. How can I check if an expression is already simplified in Mathematica?

You can use the SimplifyCount function in Mathematica to check if an expression is already simplified. This function returns a count of the number of simplification steps that have been applied to the expression. If the count is 0, then the expression is already in its simplest form.

5. Are there any other helpful functions for simplifying in Mathematica?

Yes, there are several other functions in addition to Simplify and FullSimplify that can be useful for simplifying in Mathematica. These include Collect, Factor, Expand, and Apart. Each of these functions has a specific purpose, so it's important to understand their differences and when to use them.