1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica Representation of a wave

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A sinusoidal wave is propagating along a stretched stringas a function of time is graphed in the figure (attached) for particles at x = 0 and x =0.0900m. a) what is the period of the wave ( my ans = 0.04 sec

b) what is the amplitude of the wave ( my ans = 4mm)

c)you are told that the 2 points x=0 and x=0.0900m are within one wavelength of each other. If the wave is moving in the +x direction, determine the wavelenght and the wave speed."

2. Relevant equations

y(x ,t) = A cos(2pi ( x/lambda - t/T))

ie the mathematical representation of a wave

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already posted this Q previously, but fear that how I posted it made it seem unsolvable, this is what I did again:

0.75 = cos (2pi (0.09/lambda - 0 )) where I get lambda, and thus wavelength to equal 0.78...... which isnt correct since the answer is something like 0.14m

any pointers on how to solve would be great!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2007 #2
    I cant open your attachment as yet (its still pending approval) but I'll assume you took the period and amplitude from information of the graphs.

Do the two graphs should show a phase difference? If they do, you can easily use this to establish how long the wave takes to get from the first point to the second. Youve then got a distance and a time from which a speed is easy.

4. Mar 6, 2007 #3
    yeah i got it now....u use the distance travelled...ie between 2 waves...so from say a peak to the next peak ...adn diide by time...makes it REAL simple when you consider this way....cheers for the attempt...no1 else seemed to b able to get it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?