Are you a mathematician from one of these 24 scientific families?

In summary, the conversation discussed the interesting fact that the majority of mathematicians can trace their academic lineage back to just 24 families. One individual found their own lineage leading back to Friedrich Leibniz, and another joked about potentially ending up at Pythagoras due to their dislike of his numerology. The conversation also mentioned the use of the math genealogy database to track one's academic lineage.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
And a professor of mine once told me that mathematical talent is passed on the sons in law ...

I am not a mathematician, but it seems that I can trace my academic lineage back to Gauss:

Gauss -> Christian Gerling -> Julius Plucker -> Felix Klein -> Ferdinand Lindemann -> Arnold Sommerfeld -> Peter Debye -> Paul Scherrer -> Robert Mercier -> Edgar Luscher -> Wlliam Baylis -> George Jones

Likes EnumaElish
How did you handle this site? I've gone to the mentor (PhD in 1959) of mine who is in the database, but haven't found any way to go further.
The calculation of another popular "math ancestry" was far easier.

fresh_42 said:
How did you handle this site? I've gone to the mentor (PhD in 1959) of mine who is in the database, but haven't found any way to go further.
The calculation of another popular "math ancestry" was far easier.

You go to the math genealogy database. Then you go to the name in question and keep clicking "advisor". Once you can't go further, I think you've reached the family starter.

micromass said:
You go to the math genealogy database. Then you go to the name in question and keep clicking "advisor". Once you can't go further, I think you've reached the family starter.
Thank you. I ended up with Friedrich Leibniz (advisor of Gottfried Leibniz) which is funny because I've attended a Leibniz-school.
The way there has read as a who-is-who in 18th - early 20th century.

fresh_42 said:
Thank you. I ended up with Friedrich Leibniz (advisor of Gottfried Leibniz) which is funny because I've attended a Leibniz-school.
The way there has read as a who-is-who in 16th - 19th century.

That's the fourth largest family. Nice.

micromass said:
That's the fourth largest family. Nice.
Fourth? Lol, another coincidence. I'll have to review my strict rejection of superstitions and numerology. I really hope nobody will create a database that goes even deeper. I'd probably end up at Pythagoras. And I don't like him because of his numerology. At least easy to remember as long as I don't forget my school.

1. What is mathematical ancestry?

Mathematical ancestry is the study of tracing the origins and evolution of mathematical concepts, theories, and techniques. It aims to uncover the connections and influences between different branches of mathematics and how they have developed over time.

2. Why is studying mathematical ancestry important?

Studying mathematical ancestry allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the interconnectedness of different mathematical fields and how they have evolved. This can lead to new insights and advancements in mathematics, as well as a better appreciation for the beauty and complexity of the subject.

3. How is mathematical ancestry studied?

Mathematical ancestry is studied through historical research, analysis of mathematical texts and writings, and tracing the development of mathematical ideas through time. It also involves looking at the cross-cultural influences and exchanges between civilizations and their mathematical practices.

4. What are some examples of mathematical ancestry?

One example of mathematical ancestry is the Pythagorean theorem, which has roots in ancient Babylonian and Egyptian mathematics. Another example is the concept of zero, which was independently developed in different civilizations such as the Mayans and the ancient Greeks.

5. How does studying mathematical ancestry impact our society?

Studying mathematical ancestry can provide insights into the cultural and historical context in which mathematical ideas were developed. This can help us appreciate the diversity of mathematical thought and how it has influenced our modern society. It can also inspire new innovations and advancements in mathematics, leading to practical applications in fields such as technology, engineering, and finance.