• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Mathematical Physics or Theoretical Physics

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I am currently applying to university and am an aspiring Theoretical Physicist. I see many different courses but the two I am not sure on are Mathematical Physics and Theoretical Physics.

I was wondering what would give me a better foundation to go on to be a Theoretical Physicist, thank you for your time.

Answers and Replies

Both of them.

Hi, I am currently applying to university and am an aspiring Theoretical Physicist. I see many different courses but the two I am not sure on are Mathematical Physics and Theoretical Physics.

I was wondering what would give me a better foundation to go on to be a Theoretical Physicist, thank you for your time.
From what I understand theoretical physics is more about concepts and mathematical physics is just about applying math to physics that is already conceptually well understood. For example theoretical physics would explore the relation between fundamental forces while mathematical physics would try to figure out some new math that would help in describing let's say turbulence. Physically speaking turbulence is pretty straightforward but mathematically it is complex.

So I think theoretical physics would give you a better background for theoretical physics and mathematical physics is almost like just applied math.