Mathematicians Who Became Physicists

• Thread starter anonca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, there are many physicists who came from a mathematics background. Some of these individuals include Newton, Lagrange, Hamilton, Poincare, Kolmogorov, Arnold, Moser, Ruelle, Takens, Elie Cartan, Birkhoff, Goedel, Yau, Arthur Jaffe, Barry Simon, Tadeusz Balaban, Peter Shor, Michael Freedman, Andrew Hodges, John Baez.
anonca
I know of mainly two famous physicists who came from a distinguishly mathematical background:
Freeman Dyson
Roger Penrose

I'm sure there have been many, many, many others, so could anyone name me some more physicists who came from a mathematics background?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neumann, although some might not agree he was a physicist.

where do you draw the line anyway? Hilbert did some work on general relativity & I think kinetic theory of gases.

Fourier should come into this somehow?

epenguin said:
Fourier should come into this somehow?

Yes, he has his place in the series.

Or engineers developing mathematics such as Harry Nyquist.

People shouldn't necessarily be pegged as one thing or another. One can do mathematics, physics, or engineering, depending what hat one wants to wear at at the time. No individual has to exclusively choose a single one at the expense of the others.

lisab said:
Yes, he has his place in the series.

I'm responding simply because I think this post is worthy of recognition.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
I'm responding simply because I think this post is worthy of recognition.
I'll second that.

collinsmark said:

People shouldn't necessarily be pegged as one thing or another. One can do mathematics, physics, or engineering, depending what hat one wants to wear at at the time. No individual has to exclusively choose a single one at the expense of the others.
True. People can often be recognized for their work that some might feel is "outside their field". That's OK.

collinsmark said:

To further expound on this, I was going to use Josiah Willard Gibbs as an example. He was awarded the first PhD in engineering in America, and contributed quite impressively (understatement) to many other fields.

Newton - calculus, laws of motion, gravity
Lagrange - calculus of variations, Lagrangian formulation of mechanics
Hamilton - quaternions, Hamiltonian formulation of mechanics
Poincare - topology, symmetries of electrodynamics, stability of solar system
Kolmogorov, Arnold, Moser - stability of solar system
Ruelle, Takens - strange attractor, turbulence
Elie Cartan - differential geometry, general relativity
Birkhoff - ergodic theory, general relativity
Goedel - logic, general relativity
Yau - differential geometry, positive energy theorem
Arthur Jaffe - quantum field theory
Barry Simon - quantum field theory
Tadeusz Balaban - Yang-Mills theory
Peter Shor - quantum computation
Michael Freedman - topology, topological quantum computation
Andrew Hodges - twistors
John Baez - spin foams
Kevin Costello - quantum field theory

Last edited:

1. Who are some famous mathematicians who became physicists?

Some famous examples include Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Pierre-Simon Laplace.

2. What motivated these mathematicians to become physicists?

Many were driven by their curiosity to understand the physical world and apply mathematical principles to explain natural phenomena.

3. How did their background in mathematics influence their work as physicists?

Their strong foundation in mathematics allowed them to approach complex physics problems with analytical and mathematical methods, leading to groundbreaking discoveries and theories.

4. Did these mathematicians face any challenges in transitioning to physics?

Some faced challenges in adapting to the experimental aspect of physics, as well as the different language and terminology used in the field.

5. What impact did these mathematicians-turned-physicists have on the field of physics?

Their contributions were significant and influential, shaping our understanding of the universe and laying the foundation for modern physics. Their mathematical insights and techniques continue to be used in physics research today.