Matlab: Movie2avi() Troubleshooting 2.3GB Video File

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter m1ke_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
Unfortunately, using 32 bit pointers also has a downside: if the total size of all the data in the video file exceeds 4GB, the pointer will wrap around and the file will become unreadable.f
Would there be a reason that movie2avi() function would be unable to create a video file based on its size?

I have a program that intakes video sequences and manipulates all their frames so that when projected on a curved, non-flat surface, or angled surface, the video looks normal. The video outputted by my function works perfectly fine (will play using implay() command) and with smaller video sequences (~200 MB in size) they will write to avi format perfectly fine. My boss, however, wants to see one video file which is about 2.3 GB in size, I can manipulate it in MatLab perfectly fine, but the outputted file is always corrupt or unable to play using WMP or VLC. Any suggestions or tips??

Thanks in Advance

mike

I don't have a definitive answer, but 2.3GB is reaching the limits of a 32-bit word. It will fit in an unsigned 32-bit word (0x93333333), but not in a signed one (max signed value is 0x7blackf). It's possible that the avi format (or the Matlab function) uses signed 32-bit words for offsets, so that could be a problem.

Maybe you can try saving the video in 2 separate avi files and then join them with some freeware video editor.

Or just tell your boss it can't be done :smile:

EDIT: according to http://www.avi-io.com/2_4_gig_issue.htm" [Broken], it might be the issue. I don't know if this info is up to date however:
standard AVI files use internaly 32 bit pointers. One can address a maximum of 4GB using 32 bit pointers. Such files originally had SOFTWARE based limits of 1GB at the beginning ( all MCI based software ), 2GB (Video for Windows oriented software) and today the theoretical maximum of this kind of avi files is 4 GB by using DirectShow based software or software which is using it's own code for reading and writing avi files.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suggested for: Matlab: Movie2avi() Troubleshooting 2.3GB Video File

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views