Help! Ubuntu 20.04: File got corrupted when moving to external HDD

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I wanted to move one file from my laptop to an external HDD. Using the file manager, I started the move operation; and after it completed successfully, I unmounted the HDD. When I plugged the HDD to our Windows 7 desktop, I found that the file was corrupt! The 8 GB .mp4 file had reduced to 372 MB, and could no longer be played by VLC.

The file was very important — it was a screen recording that I was supposed to share with my classmates. I am tearing off my hairs for doing a move operation instead of copying, but I really need some help now. I tried testdisk on Ubuntu, but it showed a deleted file of 10 MB size. Anything else I can do?

P.S.: I dislike putting any sense of urgency in the thread title/body, but this time I had to make an exception.

Answers and Replies

pbuk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
  1. Shut down the system.
  2. Reboot from a live boot Ubuntu USB stick (if you don't have one, prepare one from the Windows desktop).
  3. Install and run extundelete.

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
  1. Shut down the system.
  2. Reboot from a live boot Ubuntu USB stick (if you don't have one, prepare one from the Windows desktop).
  3. Install and run extundelete.
That won't be possible, I am afraid. The 16 GB pen drive is not with me at the moment. I only have a 4 GB pen drive.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
That won't be possible, I am afraid. The 16 GB pen drive is not with me at the moment. I only have a 4 GB pen drive.
Can't you leave it shut down until you do have the 16GB pen drive?

pbuk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
4GB is enough for Ubuntu.

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Okay, I found an 8 GB pen drive. I have already shutdown the laptop. What steps do I need to follow after installing extundelete? It won't harm existing data, right?

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Just wanted to post an update that after all, I don't have to take all the trouble. One of my friends too recorded the class, so this time, he will share the recording. Phew!

Likes Keith_McClary and pbuk

Suggested for: Help! Ubuntu 20.04: File got corrupted when moving to external HDD

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views