1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Differentiation Problem

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    Simple question really,

I'm not sure why the constant pulled out of the derivative becomes negative (-w2). I've tried looking for answers by googling but can't come up with anything.
    I feel like its because the first term (1,1) is negative but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2
    The minus sign is pulled out so that there are fewer minus signs inside the matrix is my guess.

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have
    [tex]R(\omega t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(\omega t) & -sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ sin(\omega t) & cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    (Rotation about the z-axis with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex])

I presume you know that the derivative of [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] is [itex]\omega cos(\omega t)[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex] is [itex]-\omega sin(\omega t)[/itex] and, further, that you differentiate a matrix by differentiating its components separately.

So you should see, easily, that
    [tex]\frac{dR}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix} -\omega sin(\omega t) & -\omega cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ \omega cos(\omega t) & -\omega sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    and, of course, you can factor "[itex]\omega[/itex]" out of the matrix.

To find the second derivative, differentiate again:
    [tex]\frac{d^2R}{dt^2}= \begin{pmatrix} -\omega^2 cos(\omega t) & \omega^2 sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ -\omega^2 sin(\omega t) & -\omega^2 cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    and factoring [itex]-\omega^2[/itex] out of that gives
    [tex]-\omega^2 \begin{pmatrix} cos(\omega t) & - sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ sin(\omega t) & cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}= -\omega^2 R[/tex]

5. Apr 17, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If ##f(t)=\cos(\omega t)## and ##g(t)=\sin(\omega t)##, what are ##f''(t)## and ##g''(t)##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook