Matrix Differentiation Problem

• Thread starter leonmate
  • Start date
Simple question really,

I'm not sure why the constant pulled out of the derivative becomes negative (-w2). I've tried looking for answers by googling but can't come up with anything.
I feel like its because the first term (1,1) is negative but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 13.39.10.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 13.39.10.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 434

Answers and Replies

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
The minus sign is pulled out so that there are fewer minus signs inside the matrix is my guess.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You have
[tex]R(\omega t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(\omega t) & -sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ sin(\omega t) & cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
(Rotation about the z-axis with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex])

I presume you know that the derivative of [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] is [itex]\omega cos(\omega t)[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex] is [itex]-\omega sin(\omega t)[/itex] and, further, that you differentiate a matrix by differentiating its components separately.

So you should see, easily, that
[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix} -\omega sin(\omega t) & -\omega cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ \omega cos(\omega t) & -\omega sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and, of course, you can factor "[itex]\omega[/itex]" out of the matrix.

To find the second derivative, differentiate again:
[tex]\frac{d^2R}{dt^2}= \begin{pmatrix} -\omega^2 cos(\omega t) & \omega^2 sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ -\omega^2 sin(\omega t) & -\omega^2 cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and factoring [itex]-\omega^2[/itex] out of that gives
[tex]-\omega^2 \begin{pmatrix} cos(\omega t) & - sin(\omega t) & 0 \\ sin(\omega t) & cos(\omega t) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}= -\omega^2 R[/tex]

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If ##f(t)=\cos(\omega t)## and ##g(t)=\sin(\omega t)##, what are ##f''(t)## and ##g''(t)##?