Maxwell disc linked to bar unwinds but stays at same height by raising bar

  • Thread starter Thread starter zenterix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotational dynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
zenterix
Messages
774
Reaction score
84
Homework Statement
The ends of thin threads tightly wound on the axle of radius ##r## of the Maxwell disc are attached to a horizontal bar. When the disc unwinds, the bar is raised to keep the disc at the same height. The mass of the disc with the axle is ##m##, the moment of inertia of the arrangement relative to its axis is ##I##.
Relevant Equations
Find the tension of each thread and the acceleration of the bar.
Here is a pictorial depiction of the problem

1719178014410.png


From Newton's 2nd law we have

$$2T-mg=0\implies T=\frac{mg}{2}$$

Then, considering the torques created by the threads we have

$$\vec{\tau}=I\vec{\alpha}=(-r\hat{k}+\frac{l}{2}\hat{i})\times T\hat{j}+(-r\hat{k}-\frac{l}{2}\hat{i})\times T\hat{j}$$

$$=2rT\hat{i}$$

$$\implies \alpha_z=\frac{2rT}{I}=\frac{rmg}{I}$$

Then

$$\omega_z=\frac{rmgt}{I}$$

The velocity of the axle at the point of contact of the thread with the axle is

$$\vec{v}=\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r}=\frac{rmgt}{I}\hat{i}\times (-r\hat{k})=\frac{r^2mgt}{I}\hat{j}$$

This is a problem from the book "Problems in General Physics" by Irodov. The back of the book answer says that

$$\omega_0=\frac{gmr^2}{I}$$

Why is there no factor of ##t## in the expression above?

As far as I can tell, because there is a constant torque there is a constant angular acceleration. Thus, angular velocity and tangential velocity (which coincides with the velocity of the bar being raised) are increasing with time.

My question is if I have made a mistake in my reasoning.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The question as posted asks for the linear acceleration of the bar. That matches the answer given. The only puzzle is that the LHS is ##\omega_0## instead of ##a##.