Maxwell's equations hidden in Dirac's equation?

In summary: However, it's always been tricky for me to consolidate everything into one coherent summary. In summary, the Dirac equation provides a relativistically-correct quantum-mechanical description of spin-1/2 charged particles, e.g. the electron. It's implied that the Dirac equation completely describes the interaction between multiple Dirac particles, but I don't think I've ever seen it spelled out explicitly like this. I'll check out Michele Maggiore's QFT text to see if he has a more detailed explanation.
jjustinn
The first thing you learn about the Dirac equation is that it provides a relativistically-correct quantum-mechanical description of spin-1/2 charged particles, e.g. the electron.

Then, it seems that it's at least implied that the Dirac equation completely describes the interaction between multiple Dirac particles (e.g. electron-electron)...

However, I don't think I've ever seen it spelled out explicitly like this (from Houghty - Lagrangian Interaction):

In its application to the U(1) phase symmetry of [Dirac particles] one finds that the mediating field of the interaction ... is precisely the one described by Maxwell's equations. The fact that the interaction is mediated by only one real vector field, whose quantized particle is the photon, is a consequence of there being only one real parameter (the phase angle) in the global symmetry group.

So am I reading that correctly? Do the Maxwell equations literally follow from the Dirac equation? I've seen them put together in coupled equations of motion (e.g. the Dirac current = source for Maxwell field, Maxwell field = external potential for Dirac field), but I always took those as empirical rather than necessary deductive fact...

Physics news on Phys.org
It indeed appears that way. The so-called classical fields which take values in a complex vector space (complex scalar field), or generally in an involuted Grassmann algebra over the reals (the Dirac fields) have the U(1) / phase symmetry built in. Gauging this symmetry with the purpose of describing possible interactions leads to the existence of a theory of U(1)-valued 1-forms which are interpreted as the potentials for a free e-m field. Not gauging the global symmetry, well no e-m interaction between the scalar or 1/2 particles. That's easy.

Surely, one can consider the 'matter' fields without the involution property, so no global symmetry to gauge, except perhaps for the Poincare/Lorentz one which would then describe the gravitational interaction between these fields at least a classical level (level which doesn't really exist for any non-gauge fields).

As a conclusion, the need to develop interactions between matter fields (charged or not) leads to the possibility of gauge theories (the simplest being the e-m theory) which would 'mediate' these interactions.
But the Dirac field & equation can be analyzed on their own, as theories of free particles.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
It indeed appears that way. The so-called classical fields which take values in a complex vector space (complex scalar field), or generally in an involuted Grassmann algebra over the reals (the Dirac fields) have the U(1) / phase symmetry built in. Gauging this symmetry with the purpose of describing possible interactions leads to the existence of a theory of U(1)-valued 1-forms which are interpreted as the potentials for a free e-m field. Not gauging the global symmetry, well no e-m interaction between the scalar or 1/2 particles. That's easy.

You just blew my mind. Any suggestions for reading more on this topic? I've got a few books on basic gauge theory, but they seem to be 100% focused on the gauge fields themselves, rather than how they could arise from matter fields (or even how they would interact with matter fields given that they have arisen somehow). In particular, anything that focuses on the classical field level (rather than delving into second quantization -- which seems inevitably to distract at least the higher-level theoretical dynamical understanding) would be great.

In Michele Maggiore's QFT text, this is called "minimal coupling".

atyy said:
In Michele Maggiore's QFT text, this is called "minimal coupling".

Thanks atyy, I'll check it out.

I've seen that term bandied about in a lot of different contexts -- the most only consistent actually has been as a name for the electrical "correction" to the canonical momentum (e.g. p -> p + eA).

It still saddens me that it seems the only place to read stuff like this is in an aside in a QFT text.

jjustinn said:
[...]. Any suggestions for reading more on this topic? I've got a few books on basic gauge theory, but they seem to be 100% focused on the gauge fields themselves, rather than how they could arise from matter fields (or even how they would interact with matter fields given that they have arisen somehow). In particular, anything that focuses on the classical field level (rather than delving into second quantization -- which seems inevitably to distract at least the higher-level theoretical dynamical understanding) would be great.

I can't think of something definite. I've read chapters from certain books and tried to capture the ideas which would give me a decent overview, which I probably have.

1. What are Maxwell's equations hidden in Dirac's equation?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In 1928, physicist Paul Dirac discovered that these equations are actually embedded within his famous equation that describes the behavior of electrons.

2. How are Maxwell's equations related to Dirac's equation?

Maxwell's equations and Dirac's equation are related through the concept of gauge symmetry. This means that the equations are describing the same physical phenomena, but from different perspectives. Dirac's equation shows how electrons interact with electromagnetic fields, while Maxwell's equations describe the behavior of those fields.

3. Why is it significant that Maxwell's equations are hidden in Dirac's equation?

This discovery was significant because it showed that seemingly different physical phenomena are actually connected through a deeper underlying structure. This unification of seemingly different theories is a fundamental goal in physics and has led to further advancements in our understanding of the universe.

4. How does this discovery impact our understanding of electromagnetism?

Dirac's discovery helped to solidify the understanding of electromagnetism as a fundamental force in the universe. It also provided a mathematical framework for understanding how electrons interact with electromagnetic fields, which has been crucial in developing technologies such as computers and telecommunications.

5. Can Maxwell's equations be derived from Dirac's equation?

No, Maxwell's equations cannot be derived directly from Dirac's equation. However, the two sets of equations are related through gauge symmetry and can be used to describe different aspects of the same physical phenomena. This connection has been instrumental in developing modern theories in physics, such as quantum electrodynamics.