Dirac equation as one equation for one function

In summary: The Dirac equation is first order and so we need only one of these two conditions."(R. P. Feynman, M. Gell-Mann, Phys. Rev., vol. 109, p. 193 (1958))In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of a fourth-order partial differential equation with a single complex function to the Dirac equation, which describes particles and antiparticles of spin 1/2. The derivation of this equation was published in a journal and peer-reviewed. The motivation for this work was to obtain a similar result as for the Klein-Gordon equation, where a complex function can be made real by
ftr said:
akhmeteli , does your equation give a different answer/perspective on the problem of relativistic particle in a box. Thank you.
I am afraid the equation of my work (the fourth-order Dirac equation) cannot be derived for the box potential, as electromagnetic field inside the box identically vanish, so the "transversality" condition (requiring that some component of electromagnetic field does not vanish identically) is not satisfied. One can criticize the fourth-order Dirac equation for failing to describe a free particle (or a particle in a box), but this does not seem to be a real problem, because if you have at least one charged particle in the Universe, you have electromagnetic field everywhere, and, however weak that field may be, one can derive the fourth-order Dirac equation.

As for some new perspective... Let me note that the equation is of the fourth order, so one may be tempted to consider (for example, for some specific electromagnetic field) an analogy with elasticity equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
akhmeteli said:
one can derive the fourth-order Dirac equation

So what is this real function represent. Does it describe the electron as electromagnetic source or something like that?

Last edited:
ftr said:
So what is this real function represent. Does it describe the electron as electromagnetic source or something like that?
Let me first explain how I understand your question (if I am wrong, please let me know).

So I showed that the Dirac equation is generally equivalent to a fourth-order equation for one of the components of the Dirac spinor, and this component can be made real by a gauge transform. So I assume that "this real function" in your question is this component after the gauge transform.

So what does it represent? Difficult to say. Note that you can choose the component pretty arbitrarily, and no component seems any better than others, so if one of the components represents something specific, then what do all other represent? One can say, however, that this component represents a solution of the Dirac equation, and this seems important and unexpected, as it means that a charged particle can be represented (or described) by a real function. While Schroedinger made such conclusion for the Klein-Gordon particle long ago, expanding this conclusion to the Dirac particle was not trivial.

So I am not sure what the real function represents, but I cannot resist the temptation to speculate:-) As a basis for speculation, I am going to use the results for the Klein-Gordon particle. It turned out that the Klein-Gordon field, after it is made real by a gauge transform following Schroedinger, can be algebraically eliminated from the equations of scalar electrodynamics (describing Maxwell field, Klein-Gordon field, and their minimal interaction). Furthermore, the resulting equation for the electromagnetic field describe its independent evolution (see, e.g., my article published in European Physical Journal C, Section 2). Thus, if you wish, the Klein-Gordon particles can be considered "ghost" particles:-) Can one make a similar conclusion for the Dirac particle and spinor electrodynamics? Yes, but so far it was done in a less satisfactory manner (see Section 3 of the same article. I am trying to improve the result, and some interim material is presented in a recent arxiv article). And, of course, the "ghost" interpretation is not the only one possible.

Moderator's note: This thread was closed for review, but has been reopened.

ftr said:
I think your "a large (infinite?) number of particles" is more interesting.

Can you extend the idea to two particle Dirac equation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-body_Dirac_equations
Yes, this interpretation may be interesting. I don't have any ideas on adapting the results to the two-body Dirac equations. Transition to many-particle theories is considered in Section 4 of the EPJC article. I mentioned elsewhere that coherent fermionic states (K.E. Cahill and R.J. Glauber. Phys. Rev. A, 59:1538, 1999.) can be used, but I don't have a clear idea. You may also wish to see what Barut did for two electrons (see my post https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/qed-lagrangian-lead-to-self-interaction.245242/#post-1806603 )