May Day Seattle is going insane

• Thread starter Ms Music
  • Start date
In summary: They could just as well have been acting on behalf of the banks to discredit those who might speak for the "99%" (although I'm not saying they are).The article claims there were about 50 people dressed in black that inserted themselves into the group of protesters. It is those 50 that are doing damage I guess.
Ms Music
Is this only here? Or is it going on in other cities? Seems to me that there really is no real reason for this violence, banners have numerous different slogans on them. Its more like they just want to be violent, pick what ever excuse you want to be violent.

I thought May Day was a day to put flowers on your neighbor's porch, ring the doorbell, the run and hide. Sheesh, times have changed! And I am tired of listening to helicopters circling! If only I could get those helicopters to drop a bunch of wild flowers on the crowd.o:)

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Windows-smashed-as-May-Day-protests-wind-through-Downtown-Seattle-149713705.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I despise these damn anarchists we have around here :mad:.

Where on Earth do these putrid folk come from? Seattle is supposed to be a progressive, liberal city. This is supposed to be the land of books, coffee, airplanes, and bioengineering labs. Not anarchist thugs!

Stupid people can just leave now.

They're idiots. The police need to round these morons up and throw them in jail.

Last edited:
Ms Music said:
Where on Earth do these putrid folk come from? Seattle is supposed to be a progressive, liberal city. This is supposed to be the land of books, coffee, airplanes, and bioengineering labs. Not anarchist thugs!

Stupid people can just leave now.

Are you secure where you are? Can you get to your car safely?

I cautiously support the Occupy movements because of the enormous damage the big banks and many major financial institutions have done to the economies of the US and Europe with its attendant human suffering. However, I also despise these pigs who destroy property on "behalf of the people", including that of the small businesses that are probably struggling. They could just as well have been acting on behalf the banks to discredit those who might speak for the "99%" (although I'm not saying they are).

I never viewed the political spectrum as linear with the right and left at opposite ends. I see it more like record, with sensible responsible people in the center and the dangerous violent few at the edges, where I would like to see them flung off.

Last edited:
lisab said:
Are you secure where you are? Can you get to your car safely?

Yeah, I am far enough north that I am safe here, both in the office and getting to the car and on the highway. There are other directions they would head before they came this way. Thanks for checking! :smile:

Okay, here is a comment snip from the comment section in the above news thread

You know nothing about anarchists.

These are black bloc anarchists. Your equation of them to "anarchists" is like lumping Muslims with all militant Muslims.

So what the heck are black bloc anarchists? I guess you can call me ignorant. I didn't know we had people like that here... Is this really only happening in Seattle today? All other cities are having normal, HAPPY May Days?

Perhaps the irony and impotence of attending a bite-the-hand-that-feeds-you protest while unemployed drove some to violence?

russ_watters said:
Perhaps the irony and impotence of attending a bite-the-hand-that-feeds-you protest while unemployed drove some to violence?

The article claims there were about 50 people dressed in black that inserted themselves into the group of protesters. It is those 50 that are doing damage I guess.

And it looks like this is global.
http://news.yahoo.com/greeks-protest-austerity-may-day-rallies-073048509.html

Has the world gone nuts?:eek: At least the European ones sound like true protests. Here it is a bunch of skinheads or something taking advantage of a protest. I still see the helicopters, but it sounds much quieter out there. My boss said a while ago that he heard they were arresting anyone that looked like they had something that could be used as a weapon (like a 2x4 or bat).

Yo jerks, stop bustin up my pretty city!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
On the positive sides, the protests wouldn't last long.

Here in New York City I haven't seen any protesters, but the police are out in force! There are at least four helicopters circling, and I counted 25 cop cars in a two block distance. I'll be glad when it's tomorrow.

Isn't it self-defeating for them to vandalize Starbucks?

Ohh looking at that komononews article--the best part is the people in superhero costumes.

Evo said:
No, these "black bloc" idiots showed up at all of the demonstrations and started destroying property. It was planned destruction for no apparent reason. Pretty pathetic considering all they accomplished was to turn the public against them.
May not a be a protest as much as planned vandalism for whatever their motivation. Nobody got caught yet?

These are the chickens of Marxist/leftist/liberal/progressive move-on/occupy ilk coming home to roost.

They riot on May day because they're kindred spirits with communists.

"Forward"? Sure. Forward all the way back to Bolshevism.

They're not the 99%- they're the 9% who should "occupy prison."

Ms Music said:
The article claims there were about 50 people dressed in black that inserted themselves into the group of protesters...

Here it is a bunch of skinheads or something taking advantage of a protest.
Since one of the defining characteristics of the Occupy movement is its incoherence, this is a risk they have to be willing to accept. There are countless sub-groups in Occupy, each with their own adgenda. You can't invite everyone to a party and then claim that someone wasn't on the guest list. To put it more specifically, they can't call a protest with the expressed purpose of doing damage to certain types of businesses and then claim innocence when part of that group decides they aren't doing enough and starts doing more.

Last edited:
Every group has its less upstanding members, as russ points out.

While I certainly don't condone the violence and vandalism, this points out why the growing income inequality in the US is a bad thing. If the income inequality continues to grow and we don't do anything about it, history tells us how it will end - with violence.

phyzguy said:
While I certainly don't condone the violence and vandalism, this points out why the growing income inequality in the US is a bad thing. If the income inequality continues to grow and we don't do anything about it, history tells us how it will end - with violence.
Often said, but I don't think it is true under several different ways of looking at the issue:

1. Is violent unrest in the US historically high right now?
2. Is violent unrest in the US higher than in European countries with lower inequality?
3. Are there any modern examples of the described phenomena or do we have to go far back to completely different times to find them?

Here in Cleveland four self-described anarchists united (ironic, huh?) to try to blow upa bridge crossing the Cuyahoga National Park. So Seattle isn't the only place these idiots reside.

daveb said:
Here in Cleveland four self-described anarchists united (ironic, huh?) to try to blow upa bridge crossing the Cuyahoga National Park. So Seattle isn't the only place these idiots reside.

When did this happen?

From reading comments on news sites, they have no support, and no one even knows if they are more than a bunch of bored idiots. We need to take a lesson from how the UK squashed their riots so quickly.

Last edited:
feathermoon said:
Ohh looking at that komononews article--the best part is the people in superhero costumes.

Hey now, don't be dissin Phoenix Jones! I wish this city/region had 1000 of him. Or more. Seriously, the costume makes him seem like a freak, but he is a very good person with a very good heart and a very respectable purpose/mission.

The word buzzing around today is that these 50 or 60 so "anarchists" are not even from here. Some rumors say they came down from Canada, which is odd considering they trashed a Canadian car and told the owners to go home. But the clincher that they really are NOT from around here, comes from the above mentioned "superhero" Phoenix Jones. The radio station I was listening to this morning interviewed him, and he (and his new side kick partner) were able to insert themselves into this group of thugs, and they told them they were going to "bomb" the Federal building. Had they been from around here, they would have known that he was a cop supporter and completely against crime and would have kept their mouths shut. Instead, they thought they were just hiding their identities just like the others in the group, and trusted them with their intentions. He was able to cut them off and apparently blocked them from entering the Federal building and completing what they intended to do.

So let's quit calling them anarchists, as I don't believe they know anything about what that word actually means. Let's call them what they are. Terrorist. Thugs. Street punks. Pukes. Immature adult children with nothing to do and really need a hug (and a hard spanking) from their mother.

Ms Music said:
The word buzzing around today is that these 50 or 60 so "anarchists" are not even from here. Some rumors say they came down from Canada, which is odd considering they trashed a Canadian car and told the owners to go home. But the clincher that they really are NOT from around here, comes from the above mentioned "superhero" Phoenix Jones. The radio station I was listening to this morning interviewed him, and he (and his new side kick partner) were able to insert themselves into this group of thugs, and they told them they were going to "bomb" the Federal building. Had they been from around here, they would have known that he was a cop supporter and completely against crime and would have kept their mouths shut. Instead, they thought they were just hiding their identities just like the others in the group, and trusted them with their intentions. He was able to cut them off and apparently blocked them from entering the Federal building and completing what they intended to do.

So let's quit calling them anarchists, as I don't believe they know anything about what that word actually means. Let's call them what they are. Terrorist. Thugs. Street punks. Pukes. Immature adult children with nothing to do and really need a hug (and a hard spanking) from their mother.
That just puts the idea in my head they were "imported" to make the Occupy movement look bad.

zoobyshoe said:
That just puts the idea in my head they were "imported" to make the Occupy movement look bad.

I also thought so, the moment I read the news articles but I don't want to get into conspiracy theories. This makes it much easier to quash the occupy movements because of few "anarchists" in them and police will have more flexibility in handling with the protestors.

rootX said:
I also thought so, the moment I read the news articles but I don't want to get into conspiracy theories.
Me neither. I'm just saying it put the idea in my head.

zoobyshoe said:

On the surface it could look like that, but here in Seattle it is a little more convoluted than that. Unfortunately I don't have time to explain at the moment, maybe I can type thoughts into a word doc through out the day and post later.

Besides, I don't know if any of the true protests had anything to do with the Occupy movement yesterday. Not certain though.

russ_watters said:
Often said, but I don't think it is true under several different ways of looking at the issue:

1. Is violent unrest in the US historically high right now?
2. Is violent unrest in the US higher than in European countries with lower inequality?
3. Are there any modern examples of the described phenomena or do we have to go far back to completely different times to find them?

1. It appears that violent unrest in the US is growing, does it not? I think that's what started the thread.

2. I'm not sure, but there is certainly more violent crime in the US than in Europe.

3. The Russian revolution was driven by economic inequality and was only 100 years ago. Isn't this modern?

It's just a handful of people that got together to destroy things. It is disapproved of by the public, so no, I wouldn't say violent unrest is growing, if anything it shows that American citizens will not condone violence.

Evo said:
It's just a handful of people that got together to destroy things. It is disapproved of by the public, so no, I wouldn't say violent unrest is growing, if anything it shows that American citizens will not condone violence.

I hope you're right. I worry that it's the seed of something more serious.

Ms Music said:
On the surface it could look like that, but here in Seattle it is a little more convoluted than that. Unfortunately I don't have time to explain at the moment, maybe I can type thoughts into a word doc through out the day and post later.

Well, that sure didn't happen! So I will just say this in a nutshell. I do think it is possible many of those kids were not from Seattle area, but as for imported for a purpose? Too tough to believe. Most conspiracy theories that might be believable in other cities would not hold water here in Seattle. The only theory that I couldn't poke holes in would be they were cops trying to get power back, but I still find that unlikely.

Still most likely a group of kids that want to break things for fun, and organized this whole event and just picked cities to target. I find it too bad that Seattle cops had their hands tied, and weren't able to show a tougher presence and nip... it... in... the... bud.:wink:

phyzguy said:
1. It appears that violent unrest in the US is growing, does it not? I think that's what started the thread.

2. I'm not sure, but there is certainly more violent crime in the US than in Europe.

3. The Russian revolution was driven by economic inequality and was only 100 years ago. Isn't this modern?
I'm going to start a new thread about this...

New thread here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3895067#post3895067

Last edited:
Ms Music said:
Well, that sure didn't happen! So I will just say this in a nutshell. I do think it is possible many of those kids were not from Seattle area, but as for imported for a purpose? Too tough to believe. Most conspiracy theories that might be believable in other cities would not hold water here in Seattle. The only theory that I couldn't poke holes in would be they were cops trying to get power back, but I still find that unlikely.

Still most likely a group of kids that want to break things for fun, and organized this whole event and just picked cities to target. I find it too bad that Seattle cops had their hands tied, and weren't able to show a tougher presence and nip... it... in... the... bud.:wink:
Back in the 60's, among other "dirty tricks", the FBI set up fake protest groups to discredit the real ones, so this came to mind when you said they weren't from Seattle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

zoobyshoe said:
Back in the 60's, among other "dirty tricks", the FBI set up fake protest groups to discredit the real ones, so this came to mind when you said they weren't from Seattle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO
Yes, they infiltrated and caused dissention among the groups, but there is no mention of them actually doing gang violence like this group. Let's not get into conspiracy theories.

The "occupy" group has many people that come in from out of town to join the demonstrations.

What is May Day Seattle?

May Day Seattle is an annual event that takes place on May 1st in Seattle, Washington. It is a day of protests and demonstrations organized by various activist groups to bring attention to social and political issues.

Why is Seattle going insane on May Day?

The term "going insane" is often used to describe the chaotic and disruptive nature of the protests and demonstrations that take place on May Day in Seattle. It is a way to draw attention to the intensity and passion of the activists involved in the event.

What kind of protests and demonstrations occur on May Day in Seattle?

The protests and demonstrations on May Day in Seattle vary, but they often focus on issues such as workers' rights, immigration reform, and anti-capitalism. Some of the tactics used include marches, rallies, picketing, and civil disobedience.

Is May Day in Seattle always chaotic and disruptive?

While May Day in Seattle has gained a reputation for being chaotic and disruptive, not all protests and demonstrations on this day are violent or destructive. Many activists strive to make their voices heard peacefully and without causing harm to others or property.

What is the history of May Day in Seattle?

The tradition of May Day protests in Seattle dates back to the late 19th century, when labor unions organized demonstrations to demand better working conditions and a shorter workday. In recent years, the protests have expanded to include a variety of social and political issues, making it a significant event in the activist community.

Back