Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

May Day! Seattle is going insane

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    Is this only here? Or is it going on in other cities? Seems to me that there really is no real reason for this violence, banners have numerous different slogans on them. Its more like they just want to be violent, pick what ever excuse you want to be violent.

I thought May Day was a day to put flowers on your neighbor's porch, ring the doorbell, the run and hide. Sheesh, times have changed! And I am tired of listening to helicopters circling! If only I could get those helicopters to drop a bunch of wild flowers on the crowd.o:)

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Windows-smashed-as-May-Day-protests-wind-through-Downtown-Seattle-149713705.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I despise these damn anarchists we have around here :mad:.

4. May 1, 2012 #3
    Where on earth do these putrid folk come from? Seattle is supposed to be a progressive, liberal city. This is supposed to be the land of books, coffee, airplanes, and bioengineering labs. Not anarchist thugs!

Stupid people can just leave now.

5. May 1, 2012 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They're idiots. The police need to round these morons up and throw them in jail.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. May 1, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you secure where you are? Can you get to your car safely?

7. May 1, 2012 #6
    I cautiously support the Occupy movements because of the enormous damage the big banks and many major financial institutions have done to the economies of the US and Europe with its attendant human suffering. However, I also despise these pigs who destroy property on "behalf of the people", including that of the small businesses that are probably struggling. They could just as well have been acting on behalf the banks to discredit those who might speak for the "99%" (although I'm not saying they are).

I never viewed the political spectrum as linear with the right and left at opposite ends. I see it more like record, with sensible responsible people in the center and the dangerous violent few at the edges, where I would like to see them flung off.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  8. May 1, 2012 #7
    Yeah, I am far enough north that I am safe here, both in the office and getting to the car and on the highway. There are other directions they would head before they came this way. Thanks for checking! :smile:

Okay, here is a comment snip from the comment section in the above news thread

So what the heck are black bloc anarchists? I guess you can call me ignorant. I didn't know we had people like that here...... Is this really only happening in Seattle today? All other cities are having normal, HAPPY May Days?

9. May 1, 2012 #8

russ_watters

Perhaps the irony and impotence of attending a bite-the-hand-that-feeds-you protest while unemployed drove some to violence?

10. May 1, 2012 #9

Evo

11. May 1, 2012 #10
    The article claims there were about 50 people dressed in black that inserted themselves into the group of protesters. It is those 50 that are doing damage I guess.

And it looks like this is global.
    http://news.yahoo.com/greeks-protest-austerity-may-day-rallies-073048509.html [Broken]

Has the world gone nuts?:eek: At least the European ones sound like true protests. Here it is a bunch of skinheads or something taking advantage of a protest. I still see the helicopters, but it sounds much quieter out there. My boss said a while ago that he heard they were arresting anyone that looked like they had something that could be used as a weapon (like a 2x4 or bat).

Yo jerks, stop bustin up my pretty city!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. May 1, 2012 #11
    On the positive sides, the protests wouldn't last long.

13. May 1, 2012 #12

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Here in New York City I haven't seen any protesters, but the police are out in force! There are at least four helicopters circling, and I counted 25 cop cars in a two block distance. I'll be glad when it's tomorrow.

14. May 1, 2012 #13
    Isn't it self-defeating for them to vandalize Starbucks?

Ohh looking at that komononews article--the best part is the people in superhero costumes.

15. May 1, 2012 #14

Astronuc

May not a be a protest as much as planned vandalism for whatever their motivation. Nobody got caught yet?

16. May 2, 2012 #15
    These are the chickens of Marxist/leftist/liberal/progressive move-on/occupy ilk coming home to roost.

They riot on May day because they're kindred spirits with communists.

"Forward"? Sure. Forward all the way back to Bolshevism.

They're not the 99%- they're the 9% who should "occupy prison."

17. May 2, 2012 #16

russ_watters

Since one of the defining characteristics of the Occupy movement is its incoherence, this is a risk they have to be willing to accept. There are countless sub-groups in Occupy, each with their own adgenda. You can't invite everyone to a party and then claim that someone wasn't on the guest list. To put it more specifically, they can't call a protest with the expressed purpose of doing damage to certain types of businesses and then claim innocence when part of that group decides they aren't doing enough and starts doing more.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  18. May 2, 2012 #17
    Every group has its less upstanding members, as russ points out.

19. May 2, 2012 #18

phyzguy

Science Advisor

While I certainly don't condone the violence and vandalism, this points out why the growing income inequality in the US is a bad thing. If the income inequality continues to grow and we don't do anything about it, history tells us how it will end - with violence.

20. May 2, 2012 #19

russ_watters

Often said, but I don't think it is true under several different ways of looking at the issue:

1. Is violent unrest in the US historically high right now?
    2. Is violent unrest in the US higher than in European countries with lower inequality?
    3. Are there any modern examples of the described phenomena or do we have to go far back to completely different times to find them?

21. May 2, 2012 #20
    Here in Cleveland four self-described anarchists united (ironic, huh?) to try to blow upa bridge crossing the Cuyahoga National Park. So Seattle isn't the only place these idiots reside.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook