MCNP5 Installation Help for Scientific Linux & CentOS | Rocks Cluster Guide

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of compiling MCNP5 on Scientific Linux or CentOS, particularly with the MPI version. The errors are in the dotcomm modules and are due to poor comparison statements or improper use of Switch statements. The person had some success with the Sequential version on CentOS but encountered errors with the MPI version. They have attached a screenshot of the Terminal and are seeking help. The image is broken, but they later state that they have solved the problem by changing the default MPI environment. They used GCC 4.4.7 and MPICH2-1.4.1p1 for compiling.
junaidarshad
Hello,

Is there anyone who has any experience of installing (compiling) MCNP5 on Scientific Linux or CentOS?
Previously I had used MCNP5 on Windows. But Recently I thought of moving to Linux based cluster.

But I am having difficulty in compiling MCNP5 on Linux. The environment that I am using for clustering is Rocks Cluster.

Regards,

I had some success in compiling Sequential version of MCNP5 on CentOS.
But MPI version is giving errors. And it looks like all the errors are in dotcomm modules and all the error are either because of poor comparison statements OR because of improper use of Switch statements.
I have attached a screenshot of Terminal.
Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Regards,

https://i.imgsafe.org/7eb92b50d5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
junaidarshad said:
I had some success in compiling Sequential version of MCNP5 on CentOS.
But MPI version is giving errors. And it looks like all the errors are in dotcomm modules and all the error are either because of poor comparison statements OR because of improper use of Switch statements.
I have attached a screenshot of Terminal.
Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Regards,

https://i.imgsafe.org/7eb92b50d5.jpg

The image is broken.
I also installed mcnp5.mpi on linux and got errors at testing phase.
But I guess our mistakes are different but maybe I can help you.

wangm23456 said:
The image is broken.
I also installed mcnp5.mpi on linux and got errors at testing phase.
But I guess our mistakes are different but maybe I can help you.

Thanks, I solved my problem. It was because of the default MPI environment loaded on Rocks Cluster.
Once I changed that it compiled successfully.

junaidarshad said:
Thanks, I solved my problem. It was because of the default MPI environment loaded on Rocks Cluster.
Once I changed that it compiled successfully.
what compiler and mpi you use?

wangm23456 said:
what compiler and mpi you use?

I used the GCC 4.4.7 and MPICH2-1.4.1p1.

1. What is MCNP5 and why is it used?

MCNP5 is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing nuclear processes. It is commonly used in the fields of nuclear engineering, medical physics, and radiation protection to model and predict the behavior of particles in various environments.

2. How do I install MCNP5?

The installation process for MCNP5 may vary depending on your operating system. However, in general, you will need to download the appropriate installation files from the official website and follow the instructions provided. It is recommended to have some prior knowledge of using command-line interfaces and navigating through directories.

3. What are the system requirements for MCNP5?

The minimum system requirements for MCNP5 include a computer with at least 1 GB of RAM, a modern processor with a speed of 1 GHz or higher, and a Windows, Linux, or macOS operating system. It is also recommended to have a dedicated graphics card for better performance.

4. Can I get technical support for MCNP5 installation?

Yes, technical support for MCNP5 installation is available through the official website or community forums. You can also consult with other experienced users or reach out to the developers for assistance.

5. Are there any alternative methods for installing MCNP5?

Yes, there are alternative methods for installing MCNP5, such as using a virtual machine or downloading pre-compiled binaries. However, it is recommended to follow the official installation instructions for the most stable and supported version of MCNP5.