1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Current of Photomultiplier at anode

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A weak light source (wavelength 600 nm, mean power 66.2 pW) falls on a multiplier tube with a cascade of 8 dynodes. How large is the mean current at the anode with an amplification of 108 and a 50% quantum efficiency for the photoelectric effect.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]E_{kin} = h\nu - W[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

No. of incident photons = No. of electrons emitted ??
    [itex]N_{\gamma} = N_{e}[/itex]
    [itex] \frac{P * t * λ}{h * c} = \frac{66.2pW * 1s * 600nm}{h*c} = 1.66E29[/itex] (in one second)

average current produced at first dynode = I0

[itex]I_{0} = \frac{dq}{dt} = \frac{N_{e} * e}{1s} = 3.201E-11A[/itex]

Then this is amplified by a factor 108 to give final average current at anode

I = I_{0} * 1E8 = 3.201E-3A

well, that was my idea but I don't see how the 50% efficiency fits into this. spot my mistake anyone?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2
    The mistake is right in the first line i.e the number of incident photons =no of electrons emitted. You should use the quantum efficiency to calcualte that, i.e no. of photoelectrons=no of incident photons *Quantum efficiency . It is usually a function of the incident wavelength.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook