Meaning of Third Eigenvalue in a Tilted Ellipse in a 3x3 Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of modeling ellipses using 3x3 symmetric matrices, and the question about the meaning of the three eigenvalues in this case. The conclusion is that the eigenvalues may not have a specific meaning for a 2D ellipse, but can be related to the eigenvalues of a 2x2 matrix. The conversation also considers eliminating the linear terms in order to better represent the ellipse.
The Head
TL;DR Summary
I modeled an ellipse of the form x^2 + 2bx + 2cxy + 2dy + ey^2=1 with a 3x3 matrix and am unsure what the meaning of the third eigenvalue is, since there are only two axes.
While reading the Strang textbook on tilted ellipses in the form of ax^2+2bxy +cy^2=1, I got to thinking about ellipses of the form ax^2 + 2bx + 2cxy + 2dy + ey^2=1 and wondered if I could model them through 3x3 symmetric matrices. I think I figured out something that worked for xT A x, where x = (x, y, 1). For example, x^2+4x+6xy+8y+2y^2=1 has matrix A with row 1= 1,3,2; row 2= 3,2,4; row 3=2,4,0

Anyway, my question involves the meaning of the three eigenvalues. In the 2x2 case, they are the semi-major and semi-minor axes. What about in this 3x3 case? I would assume two of them are again related to the axes, but what about the third? Or perhaps I just made up a procedure that was non-sensical.

Also, I assume this is a linear algebra topic, but if it would be better somewhere else, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say an ellipse is on xy plane, I guess z axis might be the third one of ellipsoid with eigenvalue zero.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Say an ellipse is on xy plane, I guess z axis might be the third one of ellipsoid with eigenvalue zero.

I think you'd be right if my vector, x, was (x, y, z), but it's (x, y, 1). I was doing that to account for 2bx and a 2dy terms (whereas the 2 x 2 only has x^2, y^2, and xy terms). Perhaps this step isn't valid, but without my choice of this vector, I don't know how you'd model something like x^2 + 4x +6xy + 8y + 2y^2 with a positive definite matrix. For this example, I checked the eigenvalues and they are all non-zero (approximately -1.05, -3.15, 7.21).

You are starting with [itex]f(x,y,z) = ax^2 + 2cxy + ey^2 + 2bxz + 2dyz[/itex] and setting [itex]z = 1[/itex].

Whether the eigenvalues mean anything depends on how you construct your matrix. If you construct a symmetric 3x3 matrix they likely don't mean anything for your 2D ellipse. However, if you set [tex]
A = \begin{pmatrix} a & c & 0 \\ c & e & 0 \\ 2b & 2d & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex] then [itex](0,0,1)[/itex] is an eigenvector with eigenvalue 0. The other eigenvalues are then the eigenvalues of [tex]
\begin{pmatrix} a & c \\ c & e \end{pmatrix}.[/tex] The components of the eigenvectors satisfy [tex]
\begin{align*} ax + cy &= \lambda x \\ cx + ey &= \lambda y \end{align*}[/tex] as for the 2x2 matrix, but also [tex]
2(bx + dy) = \lambda z[/tex] which is the only equation involving [itex]z[/itex] and is immediately solved.

However it may be better to eliminate the linear terms by writing [tex]
ax^2 + 2cxy + ey^2 + 2bx + 2dy = a(x - x_0)^2 + 2c(x - x_0)(y - y_0) + e(y - y_0)^2 - C[/tex] where [tex]
\begin{align*} ax_0 + cy_0 &= -b \\ cx_0 + ey_0 &= -d \\ ax_0^2 + 2cx_0y_0 + ey_0^2 &= C \end{align*}[/tex] and [tex]
ax^2 + 2cxy + ey^2 + 2bx + 2dy = 1[/tex] becomes [tex]
\frac{a}{1+ C}(x - x_0)^2 + \frac{2c}{1 + C}(x -x_0)(y - y_0) + \frac{e}{1 + C}(y - y_0)^2 = 1.[/tex] So the effect of the linear terms is to translate and scale the ellipse.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the significance of the third eigenvalue in a tilted ellipse?

The third eigenvalue in a tilted ellipse represents the degree of asymmetry in the ellipse. It indicates how much the ellipse deviates from a perfect circle and in which direction it is tilted.

2. How is the third eigenvalue calculated in a 3x3 matrix?

The third eigenvalue is calculated by solving the characteristic equation of the 3x3 matrix, which is det(A-λI)=0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. The third eigenvalue is one of the solutions to this equation.

3. Can the third eigenvalue be negative?

Yes, the third eigenvalue can be negative. A negative eigenvalue indicates that the ellipse is tilted in the opposite direction compared to a positive eigenvalue. It does not affect the magnitude of the tilt, only the direction.

4. How does the third eigenvalue affect the shape of the tilted ellipse?

The third eigenvalue affects the eccentricity of the tilted ellipse. A larger absolute value of the third eigenvalue corresponds to a more elongated ellipse, while a smaller absolute value indicates a more circular shape.

5. Is the third eigenvalue the only factor that determines the tilt of the ellipse?

No, the third eigenvalue is not the only factor that determines the tilt of the ellipse. The other two eigenvalues and the eigenvectors also play a role in determining the tilt and orientation of the ellipse in the 3x3 matrix.