Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurability with respect to completion

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    How can one show that a positive function with a Lebesgue integral is measurable with respect to the complete sigma algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2013 #2
    Just as always, you must show that [tex] \{x : f(x)< \alpha \} [/tex] is a set in the sigma algebra for any [tex] \alpha \in \mathbb{R}. [/tex]

4. Nov 22, 2013 #3
    Ok, but how does the Lebesgue integral aspect factor in to the argument?

5. Nov 23, 2013 #4
    You need to show the function is measurable with respect to the lebesgue measure. Thus given [tex]\alpha \in \mathbb{R} [/tex] you must show that
    [tex]\{x|f(x)< \alpha \} [/tex]
    is a lebesgue measurable set.

6. Nov 23, 2013 #5
    Also, a couple of comments are in order regarding your initial post.

1) It doesn't make sense to ask whether a function is measurable with respect to a sigma algebra. What you should be asking is how to show that the function [tex] f [/tex] is measurable with respect to the measure space (which according to your post I can only assume is)
    [tex] (\mathbb{R}, \mathcal{M} ,m) , [/tex]
    that is, the real line together with the sigma algebra of all lebesgue measurable sets, and the lebesgue measure. Doing this is simply a matter of definition which I have given in the previous post.

2) It doesn't make sense to call a sigma algebra complete (unless this means something specific which I am unaware of). I can only assume the word complete here is referring to the fact that the space which I had previously mentioned is a complete measure space, that is for any subset [tex] E \in \mathcal{M} [/tex] and [tex] A \subseteq E [/tex] we have [tex] m(E)=0 \Rightarrow A \in \mathcal{M}. [/tex]

Thus your post should have read:

How does one show a positive function is measurable with respect to the measure space [tex] (\mathbb{R}, \mathcal{M} ,m) [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook