Measurement in quantum mechanics

In summary, the system can have eigenvalues of 2, 3, or 4. The probability of obtaining each eigenvalue is 1/6.
Antepavolic

Homework Statement

Given a system initially in a state
$$| \psi \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \left(|1\rangle + 2 |2\rangle + |3\rangle \right)$$
where ##{|n\rangle}_{n=1}^{8} ##form an ON basis.

If we perform a measurement of an observable corresponding to an operator
$$\hat{A}=|2\rangle\langle3|+|3\rangle\langle2|+|3\rangle 2 \langle3|.$$
What are the possible outcomes and probabilities of this measurement?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a measurement will yield an eigenvalue corresponding to an eigenvector of the operator. The probability is given by ##P(n)=|\langle n |\psi \rangle|^2## if ##|\psi\rangle## is normalized. Now if I act with ##\hat{A}## on ##|\psi\rangle## I get:
$$ \hat{A} |\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \left(| 2 \rangle + 4 |3\rangle \right).$$ So the only possible outcomes are eigenvalues to ##| 2 \rangle ## and ##| 3 \rangle##, right?

If so, how do I calculate the probabilities?

If I normalize ##|\psi\rangle## and then calculate ##|\langle 2 | |\psi\rangle |^2 ## and ##|\langle 3 | |\psi\rangle |^2 ## it seems I miss some information about the probable outcomes contained in the operator.

This is how far I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since a measurement yields a state which is an eigenvector of the operator, your first step should be to figure out what those eigenvectors are. In other words, you should start by trying to diagonalize [itex]A[/itex].

Hello, Antepavolic. Welcome to PF.

Antepavolic said:
I know that a measurement will yield an eigenvalue corresponding to an eigenvector of the operator.

Right. So, you might want to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator. [Edit: Chopin already pointed this out while I was working on my response.]

The probability is given by ##P(n)=|\langle n |\psi \rangle|^2## if ##|\psi\rangle## is normalized.
Yes, where ##\langle n|## corresponds to an eigenvector of ##\hat{A}## and ##P(n)## denotes the probability that your measurement yields the eigenvalue of ##\hat{A}## corresponding to the eigenvector ##|n\rangle##

Now if I act with ##\hat{A}## on ##|\psi\rangle## I get:
$$ \hat{A} |\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \left(| 2 \rangle + 4 |3\rangle \right).$$ So the only possible outcomes are eigenvalues to ##| 2 \rangle ## and ##| 3 \rangle##, right?

Not sure what you're saying here. As you said earlier, the only possible outcomes of the measurement are the eigenvalues of ##\hat{A}## and the measurement will throw the system into the state represented by the eigenvector of ##\hat{A}## corresponding to the eigenvalue that was obtained in the measurement.

Note that the expression $$\hat{A} |\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \left(| 2 \rangle + 4 |3\rangle \right)$$ does not correspond to a measurement of ##\hat{A}##. A measurement of ##\hat{A}## will collapse the wavefunction to one of the eigenvectors of ##\hat{A}##. The vector on the right hand side of ##\hat{A} |\psi\rangle## is not an eigenvector of ##\hat{A}##.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that a "measurement of an observable" is represented mathematically by operating on the wavefunction with the operator corresponding to the observable. The result of operating on the initial wavefunction by the operator does not yield the wavefunction corresponding to the result of the measurement.

If so, how do I calculate the probabilities?

As you said earlier, the probabilities are given by ##P(n)=|\langle n |\psi \rangle|^2##.
If I normalize ##|\psi\rangle## and then calculate ##|\langle 2 | |\psi\rangle |^2 ## and ##|\langle 3 | |\psi\rangle |^2 ## it seems I miss some information about the probable outcomes contained in the operator.

This won't give you the answer for the probabilities of the outcomes for the measurement of ##\hat{A}## because ##|2\rangle## and ##|3\rangle## are not eigenvectors of ##\hat{A}##.

I think I got it.

I let ##\hat{A}## be represented by a matrix in the given ON basis. This gave me a 8x8 matrix with mostly zeros. I then calculated the eigenvalues to:

$$\lambda_1 = 0, \ \lambda_2 = \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2}}, \ \lambda_3 = \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{2}}, \ \lambda_i = 0 (i=4,5,6,7,8)$$

I calculated the eigenvectors and then the probabilities according to the recipe ##P(\lambda_i)= |\langle a_n | \psi \rangle|^2 ## where ##a_n## denotes the normalized eigenvectors.

At last I checked that the probabilities added up to one.

Thank you for helping out.

Please help me out here!

Your approach is correct. The possible outcomes of the measurement are the eigenvalues of the operator, which are 2 and 3. The probabilities of obtaining each outcome can be calculated using the formula you provided: ##P(n)=|\langle n |\psi \rangle|^2##. In this case, we have:

- Probability of obtaining 2: ##P(2) = |\langle 2 |\psi \rangle|^2 = \left|\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\right|^2 = \frac{1}{6}##
- Probability of obtaining 3: ##P(3) = |\langle 3 |\psi \rangle|^2 = \left|\frac{4}{\sqrt{6}}\right|^2 = \frac{16}{6} = \frac{8}{3}##

Note that the probabilities must sum up to 1, so the total probability of obtaining an eigenvalue is 1.

Also, your calculation of ##\hat{A} |\psi\rangle## is incorrect. It should be: $$ \hat{A} |\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \left(| 2 \rangle + 2 |3\rangle \right).$$ This means that the possible outcomes are actually 2 and 3, with probabilities 1/3 and 2/3, respectively.

1. What is the role of measurement in quantum mechanics?

Measurement in quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in determining the state of a quantum system. It allows us to obtain information about the properties of particles or systems, such as their position, momentum, or energy. Measurement is also necessary for the collapse of the wave function, which determines the outcome of a quantum experiment.

2. How is measurement different in quantum mechanics compared to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, measurement is seen as a passive act of observing the state of a system. However, in quantum mechanics, the act of measurement itself can affect the state of the system. This is known as the observer effect and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

3. Can we predict the outcome of a quantum measurement?

No, we cannot predict the exact outcome of a quantum measurement. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the outcome of a measurement is probabilistic, and we can only determine the likelihood of a particular outcome. This is due to the inherent uncertainty in the nature of quantum systems.

4. What is the role of uncertainty in measurement in quantum mechanics?

Uncertainty is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is reflected in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, at the same time. Therefore, there will always be some level of uncertainty in the measurement of these properties in quantum systems.

5. How does the measurement process impact the state of a quantum system?

The measurement process in quantum mechanics causes the wave function of the system to collapse into one of its possible states. This is known as the collapse postulate and is a key feature of quantum mechanics. The state of the system after measurement will depend on the specific measurement performed and is probabilistic in nature.