Measurements on the entire universe

In summary, the universe will forever increase in entropy as a result of any measurements we make on it.
Adel Makram
I can not claim that I fully understand my own question, but I feel it is worth sharing.
Suppose there is a physical system composed of MxN degree of freedom where M is the number of the states and N the number of particles. When a measurement is undertaken, the physical system collapses to well defined state that represents the eigen value of the physical observable. The result is an inevitable increase in the total entropy of the (system+the measuring machine+the universe) in the form of heat. What if MxN is the physical universe itself, where does the heat go?

Space news on Phys.org
Since measurements on "the entire universe" are not possible I don't see how your question makes any sense. Measurements are local.

phinds said:
Since measurements on "the entire universe" are not possible I don't see how your question makes any sense. Measurements are local.
Sorry if I still do not see why it is not possible. If the physical reality can not be measured, then it is not a physical reality. Similarly, if the entire universe can not be measured then it is not physical.

Adel Makram said:
Sorry if I still do not see why it is not possible. If the physical reality can not be measured, then it is not a physical reality. Similarly, if the entire universe can not be measured then it is not physical.
Since the vast majority of the universe is not in causal contact with our part, just how would you propose to measure it?

What does it mean to "measure physical reality"? We can perform measurement on particles and systems of particles to determine what states they are in. Talk of "reality" is fraught with problems as nowhere in science do you find a non-ambiguous, rigorous definition of reality. That tends to fall under metaphysics and perhaps other areas of philosophy.

phinds said:
Since the vast majority of the universe is not in causal contact with our part, just how would you propose to measure it?
We wait until every single light photon reaches us. Or to have so many observers everywhere.

Adel Makram said:
We wait until every single light photon reaches us.

They won't. Because of the expansion of space, photons emitted beyond a certain distance will never reach us. Ever.

Drakkith said:
They won't. Because of the expansion of space, photons emitted beyond a certain distance will never reach us. Ever.
So how did we come to know that it is expanding without observing the red shift from those photons?

Adel Makram said:
So how did we come to know that it is expanding without observing the red shift from those photons?

We observe the redshift of the photons that weren't emitted past this "horizon". We can currently see about 45 billion light years in all directions, which represents a redshift from z=0 (for nearby objects) to z=1100 (the CMB).

Drakkith said:
We observe the redshift of the photons that weren't emitted past this "horizon". We can currently see about 45 billion light years in all directions, which represents a redshift from z=0 (for nearby objects) to z=1100 (the CMB).
This might drive me away from the question but I am just curious to know. If there is a horizon where no information about the universe could ever reach us, then how do we know that it exits beyond it at any point of time? And if my assumption about its definite states is correct, then how would that conceal with the fact that its full extent can never be observed beyond this horison?

Adel Makram said:
If there is a horizon where no information about the universe could ever reach us, then how do we know that it exits beyond it at any point of time?

The problem is that there isn't a single horizon. You and I both have different horizons by virtue of being in different places. It may only be a few feet, a few miles, or a few thousand miles, but our horizons are different. This means that, in this context, it is impossible to have some sort of "hard" horizon beyond which there is nothing because every observer will have a different horizon. Any such hard horizon would require that cosmology be significantly different than how we currently model it.

Adel Makram said:
And if my assumption about its definite states is correct, then how would that conceal with the fact that its full extent can never be observed beyond this horison?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking. I'm not very knowledgeable about quantum physics and thermodynamics beyond a very basic understanding. I also don't know what "conceal with the fact" means.

Adel Makram said:
I can not claim that I fully understand my own question

That's fair enough, but you seem to be getting unhappy with us that we don't understand it either. I think your best bet is to take a step back, and take as much time as you need to try and ask it more clearly.

phinds said:

Adel Makram said:
We wait until every single light photon reaches us. Or to have so many observers everywhere.

Clearly you do not understand the meaning of "not in causal contact", or perhaps I should have said "is not AND NEVER WILL BE in causal contact..." although I think that's redundant.

Adel Makram said:
The result is an inevitable increase in the total entropy of the (system+the measuring machine+the universe) in the form of heat. What if MxN is the physical universe itself, where does the heat go?
Entropy isn't new heat, so the better question is where did it come from?

phinds said:
Clearly you do not understand the meaning of "not in causal contact", or perhaps I should have said "is not AND NEVER WILL BE in causal contact..." although I think that's redundant.
I considered "not in causal contact" a vague expression which, unsurprisingly, leads to misunderstanding.
It is getting complex here, in part because I have not well elaborated what I asked and in other because of misunderstanding from some.
The essence of the topic was; how far can a measurement be made?
Consider Maxwell demon, he made his thought experiment to challenge the second law of the thermodynamic. The resolution was that any measurement made by the demon himself will increase the entropy which is not violating the law. Now, what if the demon measures the whole universe instead of just a small box with a hole between its 2 parts; what states would accommodate the resultant increase in the entropy?
Consider my own example; you are using a computer program designed to analyse particular set of data in certain way. Every time the program analyses a new entry, it makes measurements by deleting redundant values and the entropy increases in the form of heat from the processor. What if the data set, is the universe itself, where will the heat go?

Adel Makram said:
. Now, what if the demon measures the whole universe ...
AGAIN, this is just not possible. "Not in causal contact" is not a vague or ambiguous phrase at all. It means we cannot EVER touch/see/smell/measure those things that are not it causal contact with our part of the universe.

What do we mean by "measurements on the entire universe"?

When we talk about measurements on the entire universe, we are referring to the collection of all matter, energy, and space in existence. It includes all galaxies, stars, planets, and any other objects that make up the vast expanse of the cosmos.

How is it possible to measure the entire universe?

Measuring the entire universe is a complex task that involves using advanced technology and mathematical models. Scientists use instruments like telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft to collect data from distant objects in the universe. They also analyze the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a faint glow leftover from the Big Bang, to gain insights into the size and composition of the universe.

What is the purpose of measuring the entire universe?

Measuring the entire universe is crucial for understanding its origins, evolution, and current state. It allows scientists to study the laws of physics that govern the universe and investigate the existence of dark matter and dark energy. By measuring the universe, we can also gain insights into the potential for life on other planets and the ultimate fate of our universe.

How accurate are the measurements of the entire universe?

The accuracy of measurements on the entire universe depends on the technology and methods used. With advancements in technology, scientists have been able to make more accurate measurements, but there are still limitations. The vastness and complexity of the universe make it difficult to obtain precise measurements, but scientists are continually improving their methods to increase accuracy.

Will the measurements of the entire universe ever be complete?

It is unlikely that we will ever have a complete understanding or measurement of the entire universe. The universe is continually expanding, and there will always be new discoveries and mysteries to uncover. However, with ongoing advancements in technology and scientific methods, we can continue to gain a deeper understanding of our vast and complex universe.