Mechanism for a wheelchair exercise machine

I'm looking for some advice for my final year project at university. My project is a design of an exercise machine for wheel chair users . The machine will look like a standard wheel chair but the wheels are a couple of centre meters off the floor. I want to add a mechanism to the wheels which would add resistance for when the user is pushing the hand rim . I was thinking about having a pulley but I can't find anything about resistance pulleys. Any advice?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I'm looking for some advice for my final year project at university. My project is a design of an exercise machine for wheel chair users . The machine will look like a standard wheel chair but the wheels are a couple of centre meters off the floor. I want to add a mechanism to the wheels which would add resistance for when the user is pushing the hand rim . I was thinking about having a pulley but I can't find anything about resistance pulleys. Any advice?
Welcome to the PF.

Sounds very similar to bicycle rollers. What can you say about the similarities and differences between rollers for bicycles and rollers for a wheelchair?