Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanism of tautomerisation in AgCN and AgNC??

1. Dec 5, 2015 #1
    Can anyone give a detailed mechanism for the tautomerization in AgCN and AgNC and is the same possible in KCN and KNC ??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what you mean by "detailed mechanism" here, but I can't tell you that this is not a tautomerization, simply an isomerization.

4. Dec 5, 2015 #3
    Dynamic equilibrium existing between two constitutional isomers is TAUTOMERIZATION( a specific type of isomerization), right, thats what is happening here, but can a mechanism be presented??

5. Dec 5, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Apologies, I was wrong. I thought that tautomerization only applied when H was being exchanged, but looking in the IUPAC Gold Book, it is more general than that. That said, I always heard it referred to as isomerization in the case of KCN, and even HCN with which I am more familiar.

Apart from writing KCN##\rightleftharpoons##KNC, I don't know of anything more complicated. I always understood it as being due to the excitation of the bending mode.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook