Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanism to move things around

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    Hi. I am working on a project that requires moving a small camera on a platform in a linear fashion. I have a rectangular board and this camera need to move from one end to the other controlled by an arduino or something similar. I don't even know how to begin to approach this problem. I am thinking of something like a rail that can be controlled by a micro controller. Can someone please give me some pointers? Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Some search terms that will find lots of relevant results:

linear motor
    actuator
    rack and pinion
    slider crank
    power screw
    servo

Then add arduino to the search term for more specific examples & instructions.

Once you know what you need (speed, power, accuracy, range etc) and have specific questions we can help further.
    Maybe something very simple like a regular rotary servo, a bit of string and a rubber band would work. Without knowing your specs it's impossible to give advice :smile:

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you dont need great accuracy perhaps take a look at a sail winch used for model boats. The interface to the arduino should be simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook