Trying to find the torque required to turn the crankshaft in my mechanism

In summary, the individual is an artist seeking to use a motor and gearbox for a project involving a 150 lb object moving in a linear motion. They are looking for the torque required to lift the object and considering options such as increasing counterweights and adding a spring. The approximate torque needed is estimated to be around 525 in-lbs, but may be higher due to acceleration and other factors. It is recommended to consult with a mechanical engineer for proper design and safety considerations.
TURNIGY
Hello!, First post and I am excited.

I am an artist and want to see if the motor I have selected for this mechanism will work for a project I am working on. I am trying to see if the gearbox/motor I have sourced for this mechanism is powerful enough to drive it.

The weight of the object I wish to move is 150 lbs and it moves in a completely linear motion up and down. The crankshaft is 3.5 inches from the rotation point to the bottom of the push rod and the push rod is 13.17 inches long. Attached is the power output chart for the motor and a diagram I made for my crankshaft design.

I am trying to find the torque required in in-lbs but not sure how to start.

Attachments

• motor.png
    motor.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 213
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I need it to move 7 inches vertically. Crankshaft, here is a photo of what I am working on.
cranksahft 2.png
unnamed (4).jpg

TURNIGY said:
I am trying to find the torque required in in-lbs but not sure how to start.
I think the maximum torque will be when the cam is horizontal (half-way through the lifting motion, but it's complicated a bit by how the shaft will move. Still, it's a good approximation to multiply the 3.5" length by the 150 pound load, because that shows that the current motor can't supply that torque.

How fast do you need to lift this load? Can you lift it 10x slower (via a higher ratio gearbox)?

berkeman said:
How fast do you need to lift this load? Can you lift it 10x slower (via a higher ratio gearbox)?

Unfortunately I cannot, I need it to cycle at least 200 RPM.

I can choose a different gearbox/motor setup if I know the torque or the calculation required to get the torque with this setup.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
The crank should not need to lift the entire mass.
Can you increase the crank counterweights ?
Can you include a spring somewhere that supports half the weight ?

• Informative
Likes SCP and berkeman
Welcome, TURNIGY :cool:

What guides the 150-lb object linearly up and down?
What is the approximate weight of the con-rod?
Is there considerable sliding friction to consider?
Any requirements for starting rotation up's?

The main torque requirement comes in this case from the inertial resistance of the 150-lb object plus con-rod to accelerate and decelerate 400 times per minute or 6.7 times per second.

Last edited:
Just a back-of-the-envelope estimate here. If I'm all wet, I'm sure others here will make the needed corrections. :wink:

Please consider:
Changing direction that rapidly is around 2g, g being the acceleration of gravity. That shows the force pushing the weight up will be in the neighborhood of 450lbs... along with a 150lb force needed to pull it down fast enough.

Converting to inch-lbs as you asked is:
3.5 x 450 = 1575in-lb

Also, since the weight has to be pulled down with 150lbs, your motor/crank better be securely fastened down.

With a cyclic load on the connecting rod bearings, crankshaft bearings, and the sideways force on the weight, design by a mechanical engineer is strongly recommended.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
A 4 bar mechanism guides the object up and down, I can add more weight to the end of the counterweights of the crankshaft. Cool, I did some sleuthing on my own and am also getting a ~similar force, solving I get 525 in-lb but yea, forgot about the acceleration in terms of direction, opps.
unnamed (6).jpg

Likes Lnewqban
OK, we match on the 525in-lb. That's what I got before the acceleration. :oldbiggrin:

But I did forget the angle between crank and connecting rod. About 1/4 of the force generated by the crank will try to move the connecting rod to the left in the drawing, leaving 75% as lifting force.

1575 / 0.75 = 2100in-lb

Plus friction, plus safety factor, plus x4 (at least) since you will be reversing the motor every quarter turn.

Can you put the crank on the unsupported end of the shaft? That will allow continuous motor rotation and reduce the crank throw by half, which also reduces the torque by half and increases bearing lifetime.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is torque and why is it important in my mechanism?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force required to turn an object. In your mechanism, it is important because it determines the amount of power needed to rotate the crankshaft and make your mechanism function properly.

2. How do I calculate the torque required to turn the crankshaft?

The torque required to turn the crankshaft can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the crankshaft by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation: torque = force x distance.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). However, other units such as kilogram-force meters (kgf-m) or inch-pounds (in-lb) may also be used.

4. How does the length of the crankshaft affect the required torque?

The length of the crankshaft can affect the required torque in two ways. First, a longer crankshaft will require more torque to rotate due to the increased distance from the center of rotation. Second, a longer crankshaft can also provide mechanical advantage and reduce the amount of torque needed.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the torque required to turn the crankshaft?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the required torque. These include the weight and size of the object being rotated, the friction and resistance in the mechanism, and the speed at which the crankshaft is being turned.