Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanisms of synapse regulation via astrocytes

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

theoretical modeling approach

PLoS Computational Biology article “A Tale of Two Stories: Astrocyte Regulation of Synaptic Depression and Facilitation” by Maurizio De Pittà, Vladislav Volman, Hugues Berry & Eshel Ben-Jacob

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The role of glia in synaptic plasticity gets revisited every so often as if it's totally new. There's literature dating back at least 20 years on the topic. I dabbled in this area of research years ago, but ran into technical difficulties that hindered progress and I ended up just dropping it when I couldn't find a way around those problems. I keep hoping every time a manuscript crosses my desk that someone has found a way to get further. Do you have a more complete citation for this so I can look up the article? I'm still interested in the topic, even if not actively pursuing it any more.

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It's always a question to me when I model a neural network, "what determines the neuron's properties". I just set them constant based on experimental and/or theoretical considerations. The computational neurogenetics approach puts a genetic network within each neuron so that some underlying network produces the neuron's electrophysiological properties (as a function of time and/or 'environment' now instead of constant), but astrocytes have an interesting electrophysiological relationship with neurons already through gap junctions, now we have another important member of the network, rather than as a sub-network.

I wonder how many studies that use gap junction openers/closers are ignorantly affecting neuro-glial interactions (rather than neuro-neuro reactions that are generally reported).

Here's the doi and such:

De Pittà M, Volman V, Berry H, Ben-Jacob E (2011) A Tale of Two Stories: Astrocyte Regulation of Synaptic Depression and Facilitation. PLoS Comput Biol 7(12): e1002293. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002293

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook