Can you still enjoy Mel Gibson films after the leaked audio tapes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
68 replies · 10K views
Newai said:
Yes, parents need to teach their kids how to behave. But one has little to do with the other.

So. With what you've provided here, it's now okay for a celebrity to spew out the N word and other hateful speech publicly? Parent's job is to say, "Don't do what the actor in the movie I took you to see did." Are you serious?

Parents choice to bring their child to a movie. I grew up hearing bad words, and watching people do bad things, my parents just told me that that is not the right way to live my life, and I am a respectable adult now.

I didn't go see Rambo, and then go home and shoot a bunch of people, so why should it be any different with language.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. You can't always be there when bad inflences are around, and trying to eliminate all of them isn't possible.

Wouldn't it be better to teach your kids the fundamentals of critical thinking and decision making ratherthan try to micromanage the world to be a giant baby cushion?
 
KalamMekhar said:
Parents choice to bring their child to a movie. I grew up hearing bad words, and watching people do bad things, my parents just told me that that is not the right way to live my life, and I am a respectable adult now.

I didn't go see Rambo, and then go home and shoot a bunch of people, so why should it be any different with language.
"Parents choice to bring their child to a movie." --That's not what I wrote and that's not what I'm talking about. So let's start back with clarifying your position: Do you think it's acceptable for a celebrity to spew out hate speech in public (particularly in front of one's child)?
 
KalamMekhar said:
why should I care if someone says cool person or I hate Jews? Why should anyone care.
There is a famous quote attributed to Martin Niemöller and found in various forms on the net. Here is a typical example:

Martin Niemöller said:
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me -- and there was no one left to speak for me.
http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007392"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of how you feel you have to admire Mel's ability to stay angry through the whole thing. He doesn't let up one bit, get tired, or grow apathetic, he's got stamina!
 
He really seems like a fairly common abusive type, with the interesting addition of being a bigot and famous. Beyond that, he doesn't strike me as falling to far from the tree of his father.