Mel Gibson film about Judah Maccabee.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Film
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Jimmy Snyder
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
22
Apparently Mel Gibson is making a movie about the Maccabean revolt around 150 BC. Mel is a Roman Catholic and two books of their Bible are Maccabees 1 and 2. There is a 3 and 4 in the Greek Catholic Bible. None of the books are found in the Jewish and Protestant Bibles, but used to be. The Maccabees were a band of brothers who fought to liberate Judea from its Selucid masters. They won and so instituted the Hasmonean Dynasty, particularly bad rulers. In the process they cleansed the Temple of Greek idols and religious practices. The holiday of Hannukah celebrates the rededication of the Temple at that time.

I suppose he intends to ingratiate himself to the Jewish community that he insulted during an arrest for drunk driving a few years back. It might work too. It depends on how much Selucid blood he can splatter on the screen. I've done a back of the napkin estimate of 100 forgiving Jews per fluid ounce of blood.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-10/mel-gibson-working-on-jewish-warrior-film/2879640"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
Apparently Mel Gibson is making a movie about the Maccabean revolt around 150 BC. Mel is a Roman Catholic and two books of their Bible are Maccabees 1 and 2. There is a 3 and 4 in the Greek Catholic Bible. None of the books are found in the Jewish and Protestant Bibles, but used to be. The Maccabees were a band of brothers who fought to liberate Judea from its Selucid masters. They won and so instituted the Hasmonean Dynasty, particularly bad rulers. In the process they cleansed the Temple of Greek idols and religious practices. The holiday of Hannukah celebrates the rededication of the Temple at that time.

I suppose he intends to ingratiate himself to the Jewish community that he insulted during an arrest for drunk driving a few years back. It might work too. It depends on how much Selucid blood he can splatter on the screen. I've done a back of the napkin estimate of 100 forgiving Jews per fluid ounce of blood.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-10/mel-gibson-working-on-jewish-warrior-film/2879640"
LOL. Not to mention he needs money and he's burned his hard core Christian bridges with the DUI, adultery, child out of wedlock... looks like he's hoping Jewish people are more forgiving.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There are some Jewish leaders who are extremely unhappy about this, according to the articles I've seen.

I'm kind of conflicted about it. I'm not Jewish, but still I wonder if Gibson is the right man for the job. On the other hand, I really would like to see a movie about the Maccabees, and who else in Hollywood but Gibson wants to make this movie AND has enough clout to get it made?

Where's Spielberg when you need him?
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
I suppose he intends to ingratiate himself to the Jewish community that he insulted during an arrest for drunk driving a few years back.
I doubt it. I bet he merely envisions it as Braveheart in the Desert.
 
zoobyshoe said:
I doubt it. I bet he merely envisions it as Braveheart in the Desert.
:-p