Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

META - Mods please stop closing QM interpretation threads

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    Way too many valuable and technical discussions that are outside the realm of 'pure philosophy' gets shutdown here way too often. The last one was a highly productive and interesting thread about technical issues within the Many Worlds Interpretation. Sure some of the posts at the end were joking and not on topic, but then mods should delete those posts and remind everyone to stay on topic, not shut down the entire discussion before it reaches any conclusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Interpretations threads never reach any conclusion.

Also, long threads are generally an indication of problems anyways. So long interpretations threads are always suspect to begin with.

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3
    But there are conclusions to be reached. There's a reason these threads is vastly more active than other threads. I don't see any reason whatsoever for closing a perfectly good and serious discussion that is at peak activity

5. Jul 18, 2015 #4

Dale

No, there aren't. By definition, there can never be any scientific evidence to conclusively support the choice between two interpretations. And by experience, there has never been any conclusive resolution by logic or persuasion either.

Interpretations threads push the boundaries of the forum rules as it is.

6. Jul 18, 2015 #5
    I disagree. Interpretations has lead to new theorems (Bells Theorem) and new experiments. There are also several conclusions to be reached about inter-interpretational (which the last thread you closed was about) issues. It's not wasteful discussions. I find it very close minded of you to automatically just shut down a thread that is constructive for everyone involved without causing any harm to the website. In fact by closing such threads you drive valuable activity away from PF.com and over to physics.stackexchange.com

7. Jul 18, 2015 #6

Dale

You are free to hold any opinion of me that you wish. If it were "automatic" as you suggest then I would completely delete every single interpretations thread, not just close the ones that become problematic.

Can you point to an example of an interpretations thread that actually reached a conclusion?

8. Jul 18, 2015 #7

Evo

Dale is backed by the mentors of PF in these decisions, some would prefer to shut them down sooner.

9. Jul 18, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't get why interpretation threads are allowed at all. They are utterly annoying and they clutter up the entire QM forum. If it were up to me, I would delete all of them.

10. Jul 18, 2015 #9
    Why? Interpretations has been an integral part of science since forever. It is awfully inconsiderate and non-professional of mods here to shutdown these threads that are clearly in high demand since they pop up all the time. If they were truly clogging up the forum I would be completely sympathetic to the choice of shutting them down, but they are clearly not so why?

11. Jul 18, 2015 #10
    It just makes the whole PF seem mean and risky to put your heart into.

12. Jul 18, 2015 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

They are completely irrelevant to science.

They are clogging up the QM forum. There are threads about interpretations all the time and they always come down to "my interpretation is better than yours".

13. Jul 18, 2015 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

99.9% (probably 99.98%) of physicists spend essentially zero time worrying about interpretations. Furthermore, the fundamental question of interpretations, "what is happening when we are not measuring it" is fundamentally unanswerable by science. Which is why Micromass is absolutely right - threads about interpretations always come down to "my interpretation is better than yours".

14. Jul 18, 2015 #13
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  15. Jul 18, 2015 #14

Dale

With those excellent responses we will close this discussion.

Quantumental, your opinion that these discussions are valuable is noted as is your belief that they are not clogging up the QM forum. Please recognize that neither opinion is universally accepted, so in the meantime we will continue to moderate in accordance with the published rules and guidelines.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook