META - Mods please stop closing QM interpretation threads

• Thread starter Quantumental
  • Start date
In summary, there are many valuable and technical discussions about interpretations of quantum mechanics that get shut down on the forum, despite being productive and interesting. Some argue that these discussions are important and should not be shut down, while others believe they are irrelevant and clog up the forum. Ultimately, the moderators will continue to moderate in accordance with the published rules and guidelines, which allow for philosophical discussions at their discretion.
Quantumental
Way too many valuable and technical discussions that are outside the realm of 'pure philosophy' gets shutdown here way too often. The last one was a highly productive and interesting thread about technical issues within the Many Worlds Interpretation. Sure some of the posts at the end were joking and not on topic, but then mods should delete those posts and remind everyone to stay on topic, not shut down the entire discussion before it reaches any conclusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interpretations threads never reach any conclusion.

Also, long threads are generally an indication of problems anyways. So long interpretations threads are always suspect to begin with.

Likes mheslep and Evo
But there are conclusions to be reached. There's a reason these threads is vastly more active than other threads. I don't see any reason whatsoever for closing a perfectly good and serious discussion that is at peak activity

Quantumental said:
But there are conclusions to be reached.
No, there aren't. By definition, there can never be any scientific evidence to conclusively support the choice between two interpretations. And by experience, there has never been any conclusive resolution by logic or persuasion either.

Interpretations threads push the boundaries of the forum rules as it is.

Likes Evo and Greg Bernhardt
I disagree. Interpretations has lead to new theorems (Bells Theorem) and new experiments. There are also several conclusions to be reached about inter-interpretational (which the last thread you closed was about) issues. It's not wasteful discussions. I find it very close minded of you to automatically just shut down a thread that is constructive for everyone involved without causing any harm to the website. In fact by closing such threads you drive valuable activity away from PF.com and over to physics.stackexchange.com

Quantumental said:
I find it very close minded of you to automatically just shut down a thread
You are free to hold any opinion of me that you wish. If it were "automatic" as you suggest then I would completely delete every single interpretations thread, not just close the ones that become problematic.

Quantumental said:
I disagree.
Can you point to an example of an interpretations thread that actually reached a conclusion?

Dale is backed by the mentors of PF in these decisions, some would prefer to shut them down sooner.

Likes berkeman
I don't get why interpretation threads are allowed at all. They are utterly annoying and they clutter up the entire QM forum. If it were up to me, I would delete all of them.

Likes PWiz, Astronuc, Evo and 2 others
Why? Interpretations has been an integral part of science since forever. It is awfully inconsiderate and non-professional of mods here to shutdown these threads that are clearly in high demand since they pop up all the time. If they were truly clogging up the forum I would be completely sympathetic to the choice of shutting them down, but they are clearly not so why?

It just makes the whole PF seem mean and risky to put your heart into.

Quantumental said:
Why? Interpretations has been an integral part of science since forever.

They are completely irrelevant to science.

It is awfully inconsiderate and non-professional of mods here to shutdown these threads that are clearly in high demand since they pop up all the time. If they were truly clogging up the forum I would be completely sympathetic to the choice of shutting them down, but they are clearly not so why?

They are clogging up the QM forum. There are threads about interpretations all the time and they always come down to "my interpretation is better than yours".

Quantumental said:
Why? Interpretations has been an integral part of science since forever.

99.9% (probably 99.98%) of physicists spend essentially zero time worrying about interpretations. Furthermore, the fundamental question of interpretations, "what is happening when we are not measuring it" is fundamentally unanswerable by science. Which is why Micromass is absolutely right - threads about interpretations always come down to "my interpretation is better than yours".

With those excellent responses we will close this discussion.

Quantumental, your opinion that these discussions are valuable is noted as is your belief that they are not clogging up the QM forum. Please recognize that neither opinion is universally accepted, so in the meantime we will continue to moderate in accordance with the published rules and guidelines.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. Why do mods keep closing QM interpretation threads?

Mods may close QM interpretation threads because they violate the forum's guidelines or rules. This could be due to the topic being too controversial, the discussion becoming hostile or disrespectful, or the thread being a duplicate of a previously discussed topic.

2. Can't we have open discussions about QM interpretations?

Yes, it is important to have open discussions about QM interpretations in order to further understand and explore this complex topic. However, it is important for these discussions to remain respectful and adhere to the forum's guidelines.

3. What should I do if my QM interpretation thread gets closed?

If your QM interpretation thread gets closed, you can reach out to the moderators for further clarification on the reason for the closure. You can also try starting a new thread with a different approach or framing of the topic.

4. Why are QM interpretations so controversial?

Quantum mechanics is a complex and often counterintuitive subject, and there are many different interpretations of its principles and theories. This can lead to heated debates and disagreements among scientists and theorists, making it a controversial topic in the scientific community.

5. Is it important to have discussions about QM interpretations?

Yes, having discussions about QM interpretations is crucial in furthering our understanding of this field and pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge. It allows for the exploration of different perspectives and can lead to new insights and discoveries.