Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metamaterial Electromagnetic Cloak at Microwave Frequencies

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you happen to see microwaves...

Scientists Take Step Toward Invisibility

See also:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2
    Ooooh, Sweet :D
  4. Oct 20, 2006 #3
    Yeah I must say this is extremely interesting.
    Now I must google for morei nformation on these 'metamaterials.'
  5. Oct 20, 2006 #4
    Octelcogopod is this like you're first post outside the philosophy forums? :tongue2:

Edit: Okay I looked up metamaterials too.. how the hell does Negative Refractive index work? Maybe my understanding of the concept is juvenile or something but would that mean light passes through the substance -more- easily then the substance it was in before it?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  6. Oct 20, 2006 #5
    How negative refraction works?

If you put a pen in a glass of water, you will see it appears bent due to positive refraction of the water. If water had negative refraction you would see the pen bending in the opposite direction than that of positive refraction.
  7. Oct 20, 2006 #6
    That doesn't explain how they work, that's just explaining what they do, and I knew that part already.
  8. Oct 20, 2006 #7

Gold Member

Here's an introduction.

There is a pretty good Wiki article on metamaterials, too, with additional links. If they ever hope to extend the effect to visible light, they will have to control the structure of the metamaterials to much finer degrees.
  9. Oct 20, 2006 #8
  10. Oct 20, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that this is very different techology from that in the original post.
  11. Oct 22, 2006 #10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?